hp Printer Problem

john

Followed your instructions and the installation failed.
Due to the RCP server not being available. This is the
same message I received when I first tried to install the
printer. I have also received messages about the printer
spooler not available/not running. I had my system
upgraded from ME to XP in May. Not sure if that helps
but I am getting very frustrated in not being able to
load this printer (hp photosmart 7960). Thanks for your
help.

John

Nathan McNulty

RCP or RPC Server? You may want to check the settings for the RPC
Locator in the services under System Tools in the Control Panel. I
highly doubt this is the problem, but you may want to check. You will
want to set the print spooler service to Automatic and the RPC Locator
service to either Manual or Automatic.

I am having the same problem and have been researching this topic for over a
month with no luck. I am trying to install HP LaserJet 1012 and continually
receive the message "RPC service is unavailable". I have been to every
website I can find, including most of the MVP's sites with no luck. I
upgraded from Win98 to XP Home SP2 with a retail version CD upgrade and ever
since then, I can't install my printer. Any help would be appreciated as I
am a college student and deperately need to have access to my printer.

MA Woolworth

Jim Macklin

see
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/product?product=305383&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&cc=us&lang=en
for the 7960

see
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsuppor...ypeId=18972&prodSeriesId=377934&cc=us&lang=en
for the 1012

"MA Woolworth" <MA (e-mail address removed)>
wrote in message
|I am having the same problem and have been researching this
topic for over a
| month with no luck. I am trying to install HP LaserJet
1012 and continually
| receive the message "RPC service is unavailable". I have
been to every
| website I can find, including most of the MVP's sites with
no luck. I
| upgraded from Win98 to XP Home SP2 with a retail version
CD upgrade and ever
| since then, I can't install my printer. Any help would be
appreciated as I
| am a college student and deperately need to have access to
my printer.

| MA Woolworth
|
| "Nathan McNulty" wrote:
|
| > RCP or RPC Server? You may want to check the settings
for the RPC
| > Locator in the services under System Tools in the
Control Panel. I
| > highly doubt this is the problem, but you may want to
check. You will
| > want to set the print spooler service to Automatic and
the RPC Locator
| > service to either Manual or Automatic.
| >
| > ----
| > Nathan McNulty
| >

| > john wrote:
| > > Followed your instructions and the installation
failed.
| > > Due to the RCP server not being available. This is
the
| > > same message I received when I first tried to install
the
| > > printer. I have also received messages about the
printer
| > > spooler not available/not running. I had my system
| > > upgraded from ME to XP in May. Not sure if that helps
| > > but I am getting very frustrated in not being able to
| > > load this printer (hp photosmart 7960). Thanks for
your
| > > help.
| > >
| > > John

xp?