HP Media Center Additional Hard Drive?

AJT

Reaction score
Hi,

Does anyone know if it is possible to add a second hard drive inside the chassis of an HP Media Center (m1150)?

The PC has a "Personal media drive" bay, but i would like to know if it is possible to add an additional drive inside the machine, instead of buying the personal media drive.

Thanks
AJT

Reaction score
geoff_soper

I'd like to know too AJT. They seem impossible to get in the uk

HP want my machine back to fix a sound card problem. They say they must wipe the hard drive, so I'd get the 2nd hard drive to back it up.

HP's search engine on their uk web site says it has no knowledge of their product name of 'Personal media drive'

I found an hp webpage for the drive. It did not offer their selling price, but the page says 'phone us to buy one'. I phoned the number given and after 21 minutes and being transfered to no less than eight different people, I was finaly told said they did not sell them. He said he had tried, but couldn't change their web page to say this.

The last hp person I spoke to said, the only retailer going to recieve these would be PC World & he thought a batch was on order for them. He had no idea when hp would supply PC world

In wonder why hp are so ashamed of thier removable hard drives. I've no idea of the price as the won't sell them, but guess they might be embarasingly expensive compaired with normal usb external drives. Perhaps reliability problems might be the reason they are not supporting thier product.

Meanwhile if you are considering buying a Hewlet Packard computer with an empty caddy space that will only take their removable hard drive, you might treat the caddy as wasted space in the box. As there is almost no expansion room inside the computer & on my 1150 there is not even a spare card slot available it is a great shame for hp to waste this space.

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
open it up, if theres room for one in the case then have a look on the motherboard for a spare connector and see if there is a spare power connector on the PSU

Ask a Question