HP Laserjet 4 Plus jam problem


H

Harry

Hi,

I remembered a while ago, some folks talked about the solution to the jam
problem seen on HP Laserjet 4 plus printer.
Wondering if anyone here got a solution to it.

My 4 plus recently jammed paper to an unbearable degree. Almost every page
printed will stay half way before it feeds out. It is 8 years old now and I
know that I need to maintain it somehow...

Thanks first.

Harry
 
Ad

Advertisements

H

Harry

Be more specific, the jam happened at the last stage of rolling out. The
paper generally stick out 4 to 5 inches and the last few inches stuck inside
at roller somewhere...
 
J

jbuch

Harry said:
Be more specific, the jam happened at the last stage of rolling out. The
paper generally stick out 4 to 5 inches and the last few inches stuck inside
at roller somewhere...
Sounds like one of the typical problems solved by kits from
http://www.fixyourownprinter.com/ .

There are two rollers and some holders and a belt involved in the kit
that solves the paper exit problem which you seem to describe. Go to the
website and find your printer (the same as mine) and then click on the
paper exit jam problem.

It is generally said that these parts wear out at 50,000 pages or so
with some making over 100,000 pages before these parts demand
replacement. Wear problems are like that...... some will go bad at
10,000 pages and some will be fine to 100,000 pages and a bigger portion
tend to go bad somewhere approximating 50,000 pages.

How many pages have you printed?

You can probably get a duplexer on ebay for about $70 or less, but there
are many sold at $100.

Jim

Jim Buch

--
................................


Keepsake gift for young girls.
Unique and personal one-of-a-kind.
Builds strong minds 12 ways.
Guaranteed satisfaction
- courteous money back
- keep bonus gifts

http://www.alicebook.com
 
B

Bob Eager

My 4 plus recently jammed paper to an unbearable degree. Almost every page
printed will stay half way before it feeds out. It is 8 years old now and I
know that I need to maintain it somehow...
I have a 4+ where this happened. I decided it was lack of traction on
the main output roller (the one right at the exit). It can also be the
four small rollers that this bears on, but the main roller was shiny and
the roller surface was hard and shiny. Cleaning did not help.

I installed a new roller, also replacing the feed roller you can see
halfway up when you openb tha rear door. The entire operation took less
than 15 minutes. Result; reliable feeding!

I remember this well - I finished testing the printer less than half an
hour ago...

Both rollers came to a total of about $8 excluding tax.
 
T

Trev Cannon

Bob Eager said:
I have a 4+ where this happened. I decided it was lack of traction on
the main output roller (the one right at the exit). It can also be the
four small rollers that this bears on, but the main roller was shiny and
the roller surface was hard and shiny. Cleaning did not help.

I installed a new roller, also replacing the feed roller you can see
halfway up when you openb tha rear door. The entire operation took less
than 15 minutes. Result; reliable feeding!

I remember this well - I finished testing the printer less than half an
hour ago...

Both rollers came to a total of about $8 excluding tax.

--
Bob Eager
rde at tavi.co.uk
PC Server 325*4; PS/2s 9585, 8595, 9595*2, 8580*3,
P70...
Hi,
Sorry about the delay but been away.

This is a problem that is solved by replacing tha out put ass.

Worn roller and slack belt (wear).

Trev
 
B

Bob Eager

This is a problem that is solved by replacing tha out put ass.

Worn roller and slack belt (wear).
Yes...except the belt is less commonly the problem. Replacement of the
rollers IN the output assembly is what I said above...and a lot cheaper!
If it doesn't fix it, a new belt is cheap too...
 
Ad

Advertisements

N

Nigel Feltham

Bob said:
Yes...except the belt is less commonly the problem. Replacement of the
rollers IN the output assembly is what I said above...and a lot cheaper!
If it doesn't fix it, a new belt is cheap too...
A cheaper option that may work is to remove the rubber roller from the
output assembly, clean the rollers with methylated spirits then knead the
rubber between your finger and thumb until the rubber feels sticky (loses
the shinyness), re-fit the roller and test the printer - I've repaired the
rollers on 2 LJ4 printers at work and 1 at home this way and they're still
running reliably after over 6 months use, cost almost zero (exluding my
labour cost).
 
Ad

Advertisements

B

Bob Eager

A cheaper option that may work is to remove the rubber roller from the
output assembly, clean the rollers with methylated spirits then knead the
rubber between your finger and thumb until the rubber feels sticky (loses
the shinyness), re-fit the roller and test the printer
I did actually try this first...worked on one printer but not on the
other. However, at under $10 for the pair of rollers I'm not unhappy...!
 

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments. After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.

Ask a Question

Similar Threads


Top