How to use remote ftp directory as local drive (e.g. "M:\") ??

P

Paul Barasoa

I would like to connect to my ftp up-/download directory at my web hoster and to mount (temporarily)
this directory as if it would by a local drive.
In other words I should be able to view, move, copy files and folders within the Windows Explorer.

Is this possible ? Does someone know a tool which allows me to do this ?

However this tool must be based on the ftp protocol (and not NetBios or other proprietary standards)
because my own OS is Win2000 resp. WinXP and the web spaces is part of a Unix system.

Assume the remote web hosters OS is NOT Unix but Win2K/WinXP too. Would this help for finding a tool
with the mentioned access problem ?

Alternativly are there other mechanisms which let me handle the web space access more conveniently than
with pure ftp software ?

Paul

G

Hi,

You can map a drive to a ftp folder from within xp.

choose map network drive and specify the path of the ftp folder. u will see examples how to do that in the dialog box.

Then uncheck anonoymous login and then enter the credentials at the time of connecting. an icon for this connection will be saved in My Network places.

Alternatively u can use a tool WS-FTP for a GUI interface to ftp files.

Regards
M. Rajesh
www.winxpsolution.com

----- Paul Barasoa wrote: -----

I would like to connect to my ftp up-/download directory at my web hoster and to mount (temporarily)
this directory as if it would by a local drive.
In other words I should be able to view, move, copy files and folders within the Windows Explorer.

Is this possible ? Does someone know a tool which allows me to do this ?

However this tool must be based on the ftp protocol (and not NetBios or other proprietary standards)
because my own OS is Win2000 resp. WinXP and the web spaces is part of a Unix system.

Assume the remote web hosters OS is NOT Unix but Win2K/WinXP too. Would this help for finding a tool
with the mentioned access problem ?

Alternativly are there other mechanisms which let me handle the web space access more conveniently than
with pure ftp software ?

Paul

Ask a Question