How to force (!) unmount to unblock a drive letter? Maybe Registry or WMI function?

U

Uwe Sieber

Frank said:
I program (well known truecrypt) uses a drive letter (e.g. W:) to map/mount some other (remote) directory.
When I use the "unmount" function of this program then the directory is unmounted but only inside
this program.

However the drive letter itself is NOT released. When I look into WinExplorer then the
drive letter W: vanishes. It should be avaiable.

Ok it seems to be a bug of the program. But nobody of the developers or other users of TrueCrypt have a
solution so far.

So I wonder if it is possible to force WinXP to release the drive letter.
WinXP should unmount and release it brutally regardless wether there is an internal link or handle or whatever.

Is there something like that? Maybe by changing a registry value maybe be a WMI/vbscipt function or a tool?

Enter on a command prompt

mountvol W: /d

If this does not help, try my tool DeleteDosDevice:
http://www.uwe-sieber.de/drivetools_e.html#DeleteDosDevice

Uwe

F

Frank Callone

I program (well known truecrypt) uses a drive letter (e.g. W:) to map/mount some other (remote) directory.
When I use the "unmount" function of this program then the directory is unmounted but only inside
this program.

However the drive letter itself is NOT released. When I look into WinExplorer then the

Ok it seems to be a bug of the program. But nobody of the developers or other users of TrueCrypt have a
solution so far.

WinXP should unmount and release it brutally regardless wether there is an internal link or handle or whatever.

Is there something like that? Maybe by changing a registry value maybe be a WMI/vbscipt function or a tool?

Frank

C

carsten.giese

this program.

solution so far.

Is there something like that? Maybe by changing a registry value maybe bea WMI/vbscipt function or a tool?

Frank

If it is mounted as alocal partition then you can run diskpart via
wshell.run.

Ask a Question