How to Update Source File IncludeText from a Target File if Source in a Text Control?

Reaction score
I have 2 documents:
Source.doc and Target.Doc

In Source.doc I have a table. In one of the cells I put a Text Control with the Bookmark First_Name. I then protect the form and give it to the user. The user inputs First_Name, saves the file and emails me the file. I then unprotect the file, save it, and close it.

In Target.Doc I have an IncludeText field {INCLUDETEXT "Source.doc" First_Name \!}. From everything I've seen in my research, and my own testing, I have to have the \! to make the IncludeText show up when referencing just 1 bookmark (as opposed to including the entire file) AND the bookmark is in a Text Control in the source file.

So far, so good. The problem comes when I want to update First_Name in Source.doc. I've found Ctrl-Shift-F7 does not update First_Name in Source.doc if it is in a Text control. (Even if the file is Unprotected).

I know I'm doing everything "right" because if I have the Bookmark First_Name in Source.doc in a Bookmark outside of a Text control, say just in the body of Source.doc, I can update it using Ctrl-Shift-F7 if Source.doc is unprotected.

So, in a nutshell, here's the dilemma. I want my bookmark First_Name, in a Text control in a protected form, Source.doc, so users can tab from field to field (and nowhere else), but I also want to be able to update that field from my target file,Target.doc. (Again, I'm unprotecting Source.doc, saving and closing it once I receive it.) Is this possible? If so, how?
Thank you,

Stuart

Ask a Question