How to stop typing ipconfig /registerdns?

XP is driving me crazy!

Hi,
My Windows XP computer looses its ability to resolve internet
hostnames shortly after I logon.

The connection is restored (for that logon session only) if I type
"ipconfig /registerdns".

This cannot be the long term solution. I want the same convenience
that my Windows 2000 and Linux computers give me when accessing the
internet.

How do I get rid of the need to type "ipconfig /registerdns" again and
again just to gain access (i.e. working name resolving) to the
internet?

What's wrong in my XP's configuration?

Some information about my system: SP1, all latest security and
critical fixes. Connected to the internet through a hardware firewall
(on to a cable modem). Norton Anti Virus installed. ZoneAlarm also
installed. Here is the output of ipconfig /all:

Windows IP Configuration
Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : mypc
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : VIA PCI 10/100Mb Fast Ethernet
Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-40-36-BC-42-BF
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
68.168.96.165
205.166.226.38
65.102.83.43

Please help!

Thank you,
Driven Crazy by XP

.

Hi

It almost sounds like your DHCP is not set to automatic.

us;264539

Raf

XP is driving me crazy!

Raf said:
It almost sounds like your DHCP is not set to automatic.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;264539

Raf, thank you for your quick reply.
I did verify that my DHCP service is up and running (Automatic!).
While researching the problem I learned that the DHCP service must run
even if the PC is assigned a static IP address (as in my case). But
apparently this is not the source of my problem - I still have to
manually type ipconfig /registerdns each time I start the computer or
shortly after.

Any other idea?

BTW, checking/unchecking the "Register this connection's addresses in
DNS" in the "Advanced TCP/IP Settings" Dialog gox (DNS tab) doesn't
seem to make a difference. This is probably because it's a home
computer and my LAN doesn't really have a domain (i.e.
..myfamily.home). Still, I don't really understand what's the
difference between this checkbox and the "ipconfig /registerdns"
command. Perphas it's time to learn this. Do you happen to know the
difference or can point me to a URL that explains what each function
does (I do know something about TCP/IP).

Thanks,
Driven Crazy by XP

XPUSER

XP is driving me crazy! said:
"Raf" <[email protected]> wrote in message

[...]

Try setting this connection to "Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP"
TCP/IP > Properties > Advanced button > WINS tab

XP is driving me crazy!

XPUSER said:
Try setting this connection to "Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP"
TCP/IP > Properties > Advanced button > WINS tab

I tried but it doesn't seem to make a difference (as far as hostname
resolving is concerned). It does seem to speed up access to SMB
network shares, though.

Some more information about my configuration:

The "Change Primary DNS suffix when domain membership changes" box (in
Computer Name Changes) is UNCHECKED (I tried checking it, too, but it
didn't solve the problem and according to what I've read, the
unchecked option is the correct setting in a home computer that
doesn't belong to a domain).

Also, checking/unchecking the "Register this connection's addresses
in DNS" in the "Advanced TCP/IP Settings" Dialog gox (DNS tab) doesn't
seem to make a difference. This is probably because it's a home
computer and my LAN doesn't really have a domain (i.e.
..myfamily.home). Still, I don't really understand what's the
difference between this checkbox and the "ipconfig /registerdns"
command. Perphas it's time to learn this. Do you happen to know the
difference or can point me to a URL that explains what each function
does (I do know something about TCP/IP).

Any additional ideas would be highly appreciated, as I am ready to
pull my hair... :-(

Thank you,
Driven Crazy by XP