How to share Vista print drivers through WinXP Print Share ?

David H. Lipman

How do you share Vista print drivers through a WinXP Print Share ?

I have a project coming up where I have a WinXP SP3 notebook connected to two HP 3005
Laserjet printers via USB. Both printers will be setup as Print Shares.

I have to assume the possibility of a "visitor" bringing a notebook with Vista and hooking
up to the LAN where the WinXP SP3 notebook is sharing the printers.

So the question is, how can WinXP SP3 be setup to provide Vista HP 3005 Laserjet print
drivers ?

John

I'm trying to do the same thing but with Windows Server 2003. I still can't
figure it out.

One workaround is to put Vista driver in a shared folder, on that same
machine that shares its printer. When "visitors" notebook attempts to
install the printer, it'll ask for printer driver. Point it to the shared
folder. It won't be automatic but it works.

David H. Lipman

From: "John" <a>

| I'm trying to do the same thing but with Windows Server 2003. I still can't
| figure it out.

| One workaround is to put Vista driver in a shared folder, on that same
| machine that shares its printer. When "visitors" notebook attempts to
| install the printer, it'll ask for printer driver. Point it to the shared
| folder. It won't be automatic but it works.

John:

Thanx... The sharing of the Vista drivers is my backup but I'd really like Print$ to do
it.

John

Well I guess that makes 2 of us searching for the same resolution :)
Sorry, I got nothing. I'll just sit and wait for other replies.

R. McCarty

Most ( or many ) printers have a option in their sharing (TAB). From
here you can add drivers for other operating systems. Unfortunately
XP doesn't know about Vista so I'm not sure if you can supply a driver
for Vista. Usually the option box "Additional Drivers" is what you use.

David H. Lipman

From: "R. McCarty" <[email protected]>

| Most ( or many ) printers have a option in their sharing (TAB). From
| here you can add drivers for other operating systems. Unfortunately
| XP doesn't know about Vista so I'm not sure if you can supply a driver
| for Vista. Usually the option box "Additional Drivers" is what you use.

Exactly.

I was hoping for an update/plugin that will add a Vista driver distribution facility to
XP.

If John John didn't know of one... it doesn't look good :-(

Leythos

Had anyone other then David asked this question I would have given you the
correct answer but the troll I will not help.

your time.

Leythos

From: "Leythos" <[email protected]>
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Subject: Re: How to share Vista print drivers through WinXP Print Share ?
Date: Wed, 13 May 2009 17:03:49 -0700

Had anyone other then David asked this question I would have given you the
correct answer but the troll I will not help.

your time.

PCBUTTS, your impersonations shows you are everything we warn people
about you.

Abuse complaint filed with att/prodigy.

RalfG

Can't say that it will be the same for all printers but I've found that
Vista has little trouble finding drivers for shared printers on the LAN. Of
the two printers in question here one is pre-XP and the other is pre-Vista,
with the drivers being either included in Vista or downloaded from MS via
the internet. Driver installation starts automatically the first time you
try to connect to the shared printer from Vista.

John

R. McCarty said:
Most ( or many ) printers have a option in their sharing (TAB). From
here you can add drivers for other operating systems. Unfortunately

I know how to add additional drivers. What I don't know is how to get Vista
on the list of Additional Drivers. There's not even a Browse button to add
"other" types of drivers. We're pretty much stuck with what's available.
XP doesn't know about Vista

Windows Server 2003 doesn't know Vista either.
so I'm not sure if you can supply a driver for Vista.

I'm hoping that there's an MS patch to get Vista listed there. I came across
this problem last year when I acquired the first Vista Business machine at
the office. I got so many other problems with Vista. I finally decided to
downgrade it to XP Pro. I stopped worrying about printer driver for Vista
since then. I'll be great to learn the trick (reghack or patch) to get Vista
on the list.