how to restrict users from playing video games?

biohazard

is it possible to restrict users from playing video games through
windows registry (win xp professional)? can someone help me about it?

I know the way to restrict specific applications through registry(using
DisallowRun key), but for it I have to give the application's exe file
name. But how can I restrict a user from playing all video games?, of
course I cannot give exe file names of all video games?

I am waiting for your help.
(as requirement of my work I need to do it through registry)

David Candy

There's no way. How is windows supposed to know what a program is. It can't tell a word processor from a spreadsheet. It is just a program to windows.

Put in an old video card. Install video drivers from MS only (no Open GL in MS drivers), Don't update Direct X. This will stop most modern games.

Sparda

--

Actualy you can with XP pro, if you open up "Local Security policies"
in admin tools, go to software restrictions, you’ll need to create a

David Candy

Actually you can't. If you want to correct someone try reading the actual question before answering. You won't make a fool of yourself.

Donald A. Herman

I'm not sure why you say that. I do that to stop programs from running when
i slip in a CD-ROM or DVD and the dumb ass company thinks I want all the
extra crap to start loading. works like a charm. Yeah I can turn off auto
play, but then the ones I want to start I have to do it manually. another
words any exes on the ROMS wont run but the movie or audio cd will.

"David Candy" <.> wrote in message
Actually you can't. If you want to correct someone try reading the actual
question before answering. You won't make a fool of yourself.

David Candy

Because his question is how can windows stop every game ever written. This requires windows to have human like intelligence and know the purpose of a program.

David Candy

I know the way to restrict specific applications through registry(using
DisallowRun key), but for it I have to give the application's exe file
name. But how can I restrict a user from playing all video games?, of
course I cannot give exe file names of all video games?

This is his/her's second paragraph.

Sparda

Actually you can't. If you want to correct someone try reading
the actual question before answering. You won't make a fool of
yourself.

--

The security policy editor is a front end for changing registry
entries, and doing it this way will stop programs from been launched

David Candy

It's an answer to a question not asked. I was just pointing out RTFQ, and then do it a second time, before contradicting someone.

Mak

Use 'Run only allowed Windows applications' GPO instead of using registry to
list all exe that are disallowed.
The number of programs that are required for your users to do their job is
limited.
(use group policy, apply to OU if you have AD domain)
Make sure your users are actually restricted users and not administrators or
power users.

Blackadder

biohazard said:
is it possible to restrict users from playing video games through
windows registry (win xp professional)? can someone help me about it?

I know the way to restrict specific applications through registry(using
DisallowRun key), but for it I have to give the application's exe file
name. But how can I restrict a user from playing all video games?, of
course I cannot give exe file names of all video games?

I am waiting for your help.
(as requirement of my work I need to do it through registry)

It should go without saying that any and all existing games should simply be
uninstalled. However, instead of preventing a near-infinite number of
unknown program types from running, turn the problem on its head and simply
specify a finite list of programs that CAN be run, and by whom? Most workers
only need a small handful of programs to fulfil their duties, and absolutely
no worker besides an admin ever needs installation rights -- never mind
administrative rights.

Donald A. Herman

You both missed the original post. Because he stated they need to be allowed
to install programs, as a business requirement.

Mak

No, we didn't.
You can't have your cake and eat it too.
Either workers are restricted users or they are not.
If they are not, there is nothing you can do to stop them playing games.
This is a managements' problem, not technology's.

Blackadder

Mak said:
No, we didn't.
You can't have your cake and eat it too.
Either workers are restricted users or they are not.
If they are not, there is nothing you can do to stop them playing games.
This is a managements' problem, not technology's.

Indeed. Best practice dictates that every user -- including
administrators -- should logon with the minimum privileges required in order
to carry out their daily duties. Only the personel actually responsible for
software installations should ever have installation privileges, and only
when specifically required. For example, when system administrators are
authorised to install new software they could release impersonation accounts
to the relevent user(s). And once such software is installed and verified,
the account(s) should be locked out. Ultimately, it's the administrator's
responsibility to ensure users do not install unauthorised software.

Donald A. Herman

That's was kind of my point before. If these people are installing stuff
they know they are not supposed to they should be fired!