Your message's date stamp is not set for localtime Eastern Time

Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2011 23:22:08 -0500

That time corresponds to UTC Tue 20 Dec 2011 4:23 AM which is 5 hours in
the future, because at the time your message was posted, the actual time
was stamped by e-s

.... which shows that you have your local time set to UTC, but you are
using Eastern Time offset. Eastern Time when you posted your message was
18:23 or 6:23 PM Mon not 11:23 PM Mon.

SC Tom

John Doe said:
Bullshit. The problem is you cannot do it, and you never will.
You have to be a real technician and do lots of grueling work
before you can get the hang of it. Using speech recognition, I do
personal computer stuff easier and faster than you ever could.

I have a friend who's 79 and in the final stages of Lou Gehrig's who managed to install, set up, and use speech
recognition about 3 years ago. I worked with him for a number of years before he retired, and I can vouch that he is
probably one of the most computer illiterate people I've ever had the pleasure to work with. Generally a very nice
person, and an Electrical Engineer to boot, but if it was anything newer than DOS, he was lost. If it took you "lots of
grueling work" to get the hang of it, then you don't quite fall under the category of a "real technician." Of course,
that's just my opinion, and others may have different ones, but hey, that's what makes the world go 'round :)

Mike Easter

SC said:
"Mike Easter"

And that means? My time is correct here. What happens after it leaves
here I have no control over.

I suppose it doesn't do any good to discuss the 'problem' further,
except to mention that as recently as yesterday and all the way back to
November (as far as I checked) your Date stamp had the correct time
stamped then, but not now.

Most news servers including e-s do not 'tinker with' or change the
contents of the Date line, but many stamp their own NPD
nntp-posting-date with the 'correct' time server-wise. In the case of
e-s, instead of NPD it stamps an Injection-Date: line with the correct
date/time expressed in UTC.

Earthlink's news server used to change the client's Date line to
correspond to the server's exact time, but that's the only one I can
think of that did that. EL then outsourced to Supenews which was next
consumed by Giganews - so none of that happens any more, since the EL
server is a renamed giga server.

SC Tom

Mike Easter said:
[...]

That is strange. Don't know what would have changed, except maybe a Windows
update? I have no idea. What else would affect it other than Windows time?
Is this one any different (I guess I can look after I send it)?

Mike Easter

SC said:
"Mike Easter"
The properties on the previous reply in my Sent Items on my Win7 laptop
looks like this (previous replies were on my XP box):
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2011 20:23:20 -0500

That particular Win7 LiveMail message is stamped correctly.
It's not until it's posted in the newsgroup that the "Injected" lines
are added. Using the Community NNTP Bridge to access the TechNet forums
doesn't add those lines. I'm still blaming it on E-S :)

e-s adds the injected lines which have the correct time.

The Win7/LiveMail message you have selected is correctly stamped. Here
are 3 lines from that message's headers showing the date, m-id, e-s
injection, and newsreader.

Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2011 20:23:20 -0500

In that example your date/time converts to the same date/time as the
Injection.

The messages I am talking about are XP/OE messages which have the wrong
time in the Date. Here is an example of the same lines. Notice the
problem with comparing the Date and Injection information.

Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2011 23:22:08 -0500

In the above example, your EST date/time corresponds to Tue 4:22 AM UTC,
but the actual UTC time was Mon 11:22 PM. 5 hours off.

That is, your Win7 LiveMail computer has the correct time, but your
XP/OE computer has the wrong time by 5 hours into the future.

SC Tom

Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2011 20:14:22 -0500

Speaking of clock accuracy and tz settings...

Voluntary clock police courtesy report:

Your localtime is set to UTC but your tz is set 5 hours west of the prime meridian, like EST eastern standard time US.

The result is that your Date line information is 5 hours in the future or Tues am UTC instead of Mon nite EST; this
discrepancy is illustrated by the Injection-Date information which the eternal-september server stamped, which is
correct and set for UTC localtime with no offset.

My time is set at (GMT -05:00) Eastern Time (US & Canada), and set to automatically adjust for DST (that's Daylight
Savings Time for those that can't figure out the TLA (Three Letter Acronym)). My guess is it is the E-S server that is
doing the injection date. Or am I misunderstanding what you posted?

SC Tom

Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2011 20:23:20 -0500

Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2011 23:22:08 -0500

In the above example, your EST date/time corresponds to Tue 4:22 AM UTC, but the actual UTC time was Mon 11:22 PM. 5
hours off.

That is, your Win7 LiveMail computer has the correct time, but your XP/OE computer has the wrong time by 5 hours into
the future.
How's my header now? :) I think I figured out what happened. I had run a Kaspersky AV boot CD yesterday, and it reset
the time to whatever it's server was, or to GMT, or to whatever it wanted. My sync with time.nist.gov wasn't scheduled
until tomorrow, so if you hadn't brought it up, I never would have noticed since the time would have been synced
tomorrow anyhow. Phew! I was beginning to think I was losing it (although that wouldn't be a first).
Thanks!

Mike Easter

SC said:
"Mike Easter"
How's my header now? :)

Just fine. Your date line is correct time.
I think I figured out what happened. I had run a Kaspersky AV boot CD
yesterday, and it reset the time to whatever it's server was, or to
GMT, or to whatever it wanted.

That is also a common problem with dual booting some linux distributions
which like to use UTC time.
My sync with time.nist.gov wasn't scheduled until tomorrow, so if you
hadn't brought it up, I never would have noticed since the time would
have been synced tomorrow anyhow. Phew! I was beginning to think I
was losing it (although that wouldn't be a first).
Thanks!

YW.

I read an article recently that said that some NTP tools won't reset the
clock if there is 'too much' discrepancy between the NTP and the clock,
but I don't know what that too much number is.

SC Tom

From: "SC Tom" <[email protected]>
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
<[email protected]> <[email protected]>
<[email protected]> <[email protected]>
<[email protected]> <[email protected]>
<[email protected]> <[email protected]>
<[email protected]> <[email protected]> <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: How to keep Windows clock accurate?
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2011 20:23:20 -0500

It's not until it's posted in the newsgroup that the "Injected" lines are added. Using the Community NNTP Bridge to
access the TechNet forums doesn't add those lines. I'm still blaming it on E-S :)

Astropher

Hello AssTrophy.

I think it is very interesing that you resort to using homophobic names
and references to people's mothers.

Did your mother give you 'special' bed-time stories when you were a child.

John Doe

Astropher said:
John Doe said:

I think it is very interesing

No wonder you keep coming back for more, AssTrophy.
that you resort to using homophobic names and references to
people's mothers.

I use references to all sorts of things, AssTrophy, yours is
fitting.