How to keep Windows clock accurate?

John Doe

Anybody know of a utility that syncs Windows clock and calendar, like
through the Internet?

Thanks.

Mike Easter

John said:
Anybody know of a utility that syncs Windows clock and calendar, like
through the Internet?

Which Windows?

My XPs have an NTP/internet function.

These screenshots show it http://csg.trinhall.cam.ac.uk/tips/ntp/winxp

That article suggests that it doesn't always work and also suggests
automachron http://csg.trinhall.cam.ac.uk/tips/ntp/winxp

On Win98se I used to use a little app I got from NIST which has
information on the subject http://www.nist.gov/pml/div688/grp40/its.cfm
Set your computer clock via the Internet
using tools built into the operating system

It is also informative to just wander around the NIST site.

ToolPackinMama

Anybody know of a utility that syncs Windows clock and calendar, like
through the Internet?

You can do that through the clock itself. Click clock on taskbar, link
at bottom, internet tab...

If your PC won't keep time, you might need to replace the CMOS battery.

John Doe

Not to take anything away from any current or future reply, but...
Instead of messing with the Windows utility like my subject line
suggests, I might try using a simple utility like DS Clock or
whatever.

DevilsPGD

In message <[email protected]> someone
claiming to be John Doe said:
Anybody know of a utility that syncs Windows clock and calendar, like
through the Internet?

Syncs what exactly? Windows synchronizes the current time/date
automatically already, and I'm not really sure what calendar you're
talking about.

Mike Easter

DevilsPGD said:
John Doe

Syncs what exactly? Windows synchronizes the current time/date
automatically already, and I'm not really sure what calendar you're
talking about.

Since the NTP time is expressed in the number of seconds and fractional
seconds since a specific date, its conversion to UTC results in a
fractional seconds and a calendar date as well. And leap seconds when
appropriate.

The local problems of dealing with one's timezone and its time/date as
well as daylight time adjustments are left to the individual.

John Doe

DevilsPGD said:
In message <4eecde9f$0$2217$c3e8da3$88b277c5 news.astraweb.com>

Syncs what exactly? Windows synchronizes the current time/date
automatically already,

Windows XP Date and Time Properties is a piece of shit clock and
calendar utility.
and I'm not really sure what calendar you're talking about.

You might not be old enough to remember Windows XP, but it does
have a clock and calendar. If you are playing semantics, in fact
Windows XP Date and Time Properties fits the definition of
"calendar".

Mike Easter

xposting deleted, to achp-h only

John said:
Windows XP Date and Time Properties is a piece of shit clock and
calendar utility.

To me, your initial post looked like you didn't know how XP date/time
worked for NTP, not that you were dissatisfied with it.
Anybody know of a utility that syncs Windows clock and calendar, like
through the Internet?

The replies you get will be best if you characterize which v. of Windows
you are using and what NTP agent functions you are already familiar.

What kind of trouble do you have with the default function? One of the
places I was reading and link I gave indicated there was some problem
with it.

"Some people may find that Windows's time synchronisation system is
temperemental (sic) and does not always work."

But, I didn't find any mention of that at NIST, except that they felt
some necessity to provide their own Win32 app.

Mike Easter

Mike said:
John Doe wrote:
"Some people may find that Windows's time synchronisation system is
temperemental (sic) and does not always work."

But, I didn't find any mention of that at NIST, except that they felt
some necessity to provide their own Win32 app.

NIST also has a page that talks about firewall interference with good
NTP function http://www.nist.gov/pml/div688/grp40/firewall.cfm There
are a number of points to consider if you have any type of firewall and
are planning to use it with the NIST Internet Time service.

They also have a recently updated page full of software providers for
NTP http://www.nist.gov/pml/div688/grp40/softwarelist.cfm Publishers of
Time and Frequency Software

John Doe

Mike Easter said:
xposting deleted, to achp-h only

To me, your initial post looked like you didn't know how XP
date/time worked for NTP,

Looks like you don't know how to write. Spell out acronyms the
first time you use them.
not that you were dissatisfied with it.

I have always been dissatisfied with POS Microsoft utilities.
Microsoft's acquisition of Systernals is bewildering. Hopefully
Systernals influence is showing up in post-Windows XP. More likely
Microsoft will just crush them, intentionally or not.
The replies you get will be best if you characterize which v. of
Windows you are using and what NTP agent functions you are
already familiar.

That is obscure.

Being a regular here, you should know that I run circles around
other Windows users. Otherwise, if you are addressing the average
reader, you need to write much more clearly.

Your obscure "NTP agent functions" should have nothing to do with
keeping correct time in Windows, given the correct time zone. If a
user accidentally clicks on one of the dates on Microsoft's POS
Date and Time Properties calendar, Microsoft's hideous logic
assumes that he is changing the date of the calendar. WHAT IDIOT
ON EARTH WANTS TO EASILY CHANGE THE DATE ON HIS CALENDAR TO
SOMETHING OTHER THAN THE ACTUAL DATE??? A troll might, Mikey, but
nobody else does. And then there's the fact that Microsoft's
calendar is otherwise useless. And yeah I know, a user can get his
own. Poor Microsoft, it might take a little programming to provide
a useful calendar function and a clock that keeps accurate time.
Poor poor Microsoft.
What kind of trouble do you have with the default function? One
of the places I was reading and link I gave indicated there was
some problem with it.

"Some people may find that Windows's time synchronisation system
is temperemental (sic) and does not always work."

But, I didn't find any mention of that at NIST,

Speech recognition would allow you to spell out acronyms without
much effort, assuming you can speak well enough.

John Doe

Nil said:
John Doe <jdoe usenetlove.invalid> wrote

Wow, look at you "running circles other Windows users" again.

I use speech for writing and automating Windows. I can do stuff in
half the time it takes you. I spent a decade playing with Windows
settings. If I wanted to explain how to do something, I would
provide a path. That's what we do in this technical help group.
I'm impressed all over again!

That's what your mother says every time I whip it out...

From: Nil <rednoise REMOVETHIScomcast.net>
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Subject: Re: How to keep Windows clock accurate?
Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2011 17:41:22 -0500

Astropher

Being a regular here, you should know that I run circles around
other Windows users. Otherwise, if you are addressing the average
reader, you need to write much more clearly.

My dog runs circles around lots of things all the time. In fact it is
sometimes pretty difficult to stop him running circles once he gets
into a running circles around stuff mood. Sadly, that doesn't stop him
from being as dumb as a dog shit.

Nil

I use speech for writing and automating Windows. I can do stuff in
half the time it takes you. I spent a decade playing with Windows
settings. If I wanted to explain how to do something, I would
provide a path. That's what we do in this technical help group.

Apparently that super-duper-amazing technology is unable to help you
read previous correct answers, press F1, search a Help file, right-
click, use Google, schedule your bipolar disorder meds, or know
something that almost every other Windows user has known for the past
decade. It would, however leave both hands free for your internet porn
activities, which I'm sure you take full advantage of.
That's what your mother says every time I whip it out...

You're nothing if not predictable.

claiming to be John Doe said:
Windows XP Date and Time Properties is a piece of shit clock and
calendar utility.

It's a useful clock, but a useless calendar. That's probably because
it's not designed as a calendar, but rather, a way to set the date.

Windows 7 has a popup calendar rather than re-purposing the set-date
functionality.

John Doe

Nil said:
John Doe <jdoe usenetlove.invalid> wrote

Apparently that super-duper-amazing technology

Yes it is, Zero. And someone like you might someday be able to use
it. But not until they make it extremely user friendly.
is unable to help you read previous correct answers, press F1,
search a Help file, right- click, use Google,

I do not look for proof of your assertions, Zero.
schedule your bipolar disorder meds, or know something that
almost every other Windows user has known for the past decade.

What's the path, Zero?
It would, however leave both hands free for your internet porn
activities, which I'm sure you take full advantage of.

Your mother takes care of that, Zero, hands-free.
You're nothing if not predictable.

I'm better than you at using a PC, Zero.

From: Nil <rednoise REMOVETHIScomcast.net>
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2011 19:02:15 -0500

John Doe