How to disable "Want to save changes to template?" alert in Word?

G

When I try to save a doc (created from a template), Word 2003 always asks me
"Do you also want to save changes to the document template? Yes/No" How can I
disable that alert? I never want to save changes to this template, only to
the .doc file. Thanks

G

I think what you have to do is "Save As" give the document a name and save as
a .doc file. Try it. Hope it works.

gap

G

Thanks, but had already tried that.

After posting, I tried several other things and finally found the fix. Under
"Tools |Templates and Add-Ins...", the dialog listed the template filename in
the "Document template" field. It was not the "Normal" template. I cleared
that field and hit OK, and do not get prompted anymore. On returning to that
dialog, it shows "Normal" in that field now. Maybe that will help someone
else having the same problem. Thanks again.

Reaction score
VBA solution

Hi, I'm one of the many Word users who have been frustrated by this and have a solution! I'm posting here because it's the first page that comes up in a google search for "word do you also want to save changes to the document template?"

I developed a DOT file that contains some VBA macros. Every time I created a new DOC from the DOT and saved, I got the message "do you also want to save changes to the document template?" - makes no sense to me or my users.

The solution above didn't work for me. This did: Adding the following line of code to the template's AutoOpen sub:

NormalTemplate.Saved = True

No idea why it works, don't really care to be honest :)

Hope this helps others
Matt

Reaction score
Hi, I'm one of the many Word users who have been frustrated by this and have a solution! I'm posting here because it's the first page that comes up in a google search for "word do you also want to save changes to the document template?"

I developed a DOT file that contains some VBA macros. Every time I created a new DOC from the DOT and saved, I got the message "do you also want to save changes to the document template?" - makes no sense to me or my users.

The solution above didn't work for me. This did: Adding the following line of code to the template's AutoOpen sub:

NormalTemplate.Saved = True

No idea why it works, don't really care to be honest :)

Hope this helps others
Matt

I used this method and it did not work at first. What this command does is that it "satisfies" Word that no changes have been made to the template as the saved = true
However, it does not completely work for custom template.

Instead, After this line in the AutoOpen Sub, add another

ThisDocument.Saved = True

where ThisDocument is the default name of the Object under "Microsoft Word Objects" in the Project Explorer Window

Thanks anyways!!

Ask a Question