how to delete the background so the picture "IS the slide"

ok, I am making a slide show with just pictures I want to not have a
background. You see every time I view the slide show, the background comes
in, and then my pictures fade in. I don't want to have a background. I just
want to have the pictures fade in. I know I can set the actual picture as my
background, but I don't want the images that big. so you see my delema? How
can I delete the background? or do I have any other options?

Geetesh Bajaj

Did you mean to say you want a blank background, as in a plain white
background?

No, I mean that I want to get rid of the automatic white background that you
are talking about.Or at least I want it to not show up when I play my
slideshow

Echo S

If you don't want the images to be that big, then what do you want to show
in the rest of the area?

A black background might be your best bet. Otherwise, it means using
something like Chirag's transparent show add-in, and that means your desktop
will show through.

Thank you for all your help, but I don't think what I want is possible, hehe
I've thought about it more, and it just doesn't make sense the way I want it.
But maybe what you are talking about may work for me. The whole Chirag's
transparent show add-in. That may be what I am looking for and may possibly
work, I have never done it before, and have no clue how to do it but I will
give it a try and try and figure it out. Thanks!

--
Echo [MS PPT MVP]
http://www.echosvoice.com

Foreign to Computers said:
ok, I am making a slide show with just pictures I want to not have a
background. You see every time I view the slide show, the background comes
in, and then my pictures fade in. I don't want to have a background. I just
want to have the pictures fade in. I know I can set the actual picture as my
background, but I don't want the images that big. so you see my delema? How
can I delete the background? or do I have any other options?

OK WAIT! I have a new question! How do you make the background fade in at the
same time as the picture?! can I do that?!

Foreign to Computers said:
ok, I am making a slide show with just pictures I want to not have a
background. You see every time I view the slide show, the background comes
in, and then my pictures fade in. I don't want to have a background. I just
want to have the pictures fade in. I know I can set the actual picture as my
background, but I don't want the images that big. so you see my delema? How
can I delete the background? or do I have any other options?

Echo S

Geetesh included the link to Chirag's add-in in his reply.
http://officeone.mvps.org/transshow/transshow.html

--
Echo [MS PPT MVP]
http://www.echosvoice.com

Echo S said:
If you don't want the images to be that big, then what do you want to show
in the rest of the area?

A black background might be your best bet. Otherwise, it means using
something like Chirag's transparent show add-in, and that means your desktop
will show through.

--
Echo [MS PPT MVP]
http://www.echosvoice.com

"Foreign to Computers" <Foreign to (e-mail address removed)>
ok, I am making a slide show with just pictures I want to not have a
background. You see every time I view the slide show, the background comes
in, and then my pictures fade in. I don't want to have a background. I just
want to have the pictures fade in. I know I can set the actual picture
as
my
background, but I don't want the images that big. so you see my
delema?
How
can I delete the background? or do I have any other options?

Echo S

Use a slide transition. On the menu, choose Slide Show then Slide
Transition.

If you're using PPT 97 or 2000, you'll probably want to use Dissolve instead
of Fade Through Black, because FTB has been known to lock up systems.

FTB and Fade Smoothly in PPT 2002 and 2003 are much more reliable. It's okay
to use them there.

You can find your version of PPT by going to Help/About.

--
Echo [MS PPT MVP]
http://www.echosvoice.com

Echo S said:
[...]

Steve Rindsberg

Foreign to said:
OK WAIT! I have a new question! How do you make the background fade in at the
same time as the picture?! can I do that?!

Let's back up and answer the main question here. You have a picture that
doesn't fill the screen. Something has to occupy the rest of the screen. What
do you want it to be? The windows desktop, another photo, a color, a series of
colors ... ? "Nothing" is not a valid answer. ;-)

Foreign to Computers said:
ok, I am making a slide show with just pictures I want to not have a
background. You see every time I view the slide show, the background comes
in, and then my pictures fade in. I don't want to have a background. I just
want to have the pictures fade in. I know I can set the actual picture as my
background, but I don't want the images that big. so you see my delema? How
can I delete the background? or do I have any other options?

Ok, you're right, the reason why I couldn't get an answer was because it made
no sense, to have nothing there at all. I think I would like to know how to
get the desktop to be my background. Does that help? Thanks for helping me
along, I'm a little slow.

wrote in message ok, I am making a slide show with just pictures I want to not have a
background. You see every time I view the slide show, the background comes
in, and then my pictures fade in. I don't want to have a background. I
just
want to have the pictures fade in. I know I can set the actual picture as
my
background, but I don't want the images that big. so you see my delema?
How
can I delete the background? or do I have any other options?

Steve Rindsberg, PPT MVP
PPT FAQ: www.pptfaq.com
PPTools: www.pptools.com

David M. Marcovitz

I see. What you want is for PowerPoint to be tranparent. It doesn't do
that. However, you could close up all your windows and hit the Print
Screen button to take a snapshot of your desktop. You can open your
favorite image editing program and paste the snapshot into a new
document. Save it as a JPG file, and insert as the background of your
PowerPoint slide. It will LOOK like your desktop is there in the
background, but it will really be a static picture of your desktop (so it
won't be active, and it won't change if you change the desktoop.

I can picture you taking this a step further and putting transparent
shapes on top of the icons on your desktop and setting them to hyperlink
to the appropriate item, so you could simulate an active desktop, but
that seems like a bizarre thing to do.

--David

--
David M. Marcovitz
Microsoft PowerPoint MVP

:

Foreign to said:
Ok, you're right, the reason why I couldn't get an answer was because it made
no sense, to have nothing there at all. I think I would like to know how to
get the desktop to be my background. Does that help? Thanks for helping me
along, I'm a little slow.

No problem.

Echo's suggestion (Chirag's addin) might be one solution and David's proposed a few
more.

Another possibility:

If you have Windows XP, your pictures can BE your desktop. Rightclick the desktop,
choose Properties. Click the ScreenSaver tab. Under ScreenSaver, choose "My
Pictures Slideshow"

Click Settings to choose the folder where your pictures are stored, how often you
want them to change, size you want and so forth.

That might not be exactly what you're after but it's worth having a play with it.
At these prices, you can't go far wrong.

Thanks for all your help! I think I have things under control finally. I am
glad to know there are people out there willing to help. :)

--Foreign to Computers