How to convert ADC to PDC?

balaji

Hi,

I have W2K3 DC it is older machine and i bought new server class machine
so i want replace the DC to that machine, i will be thankfull any one can
help me to make the new machine up as aDC.
..

Thanks in Advance,
with regards,
Balaji.k

Herb Martin

Andrei Ungureanu said:
add the new server as an additional domain controller for that domain,
transfer the roles and other services and demote the old one.

Remind him to make sure he has a GC, and DNS gets
transferred and reconfigured on all of the clients.

Also, even though the ROLES should transfer automatically,
make sure the 5 FSMO roles get taken by the other server.

Also, he MIGHT consider just keeping BOTH servers.

It's good to have more than one DC.

balaji

Thanks for giving sugestion. Please help me to transfer the DNS , GC and
also 5 FSMO roles
with regards,
Balaji
..

--
Herb Martin, MCSE, MVP
Accelerated MCSE

Herb Martin

balaji said:
Thanks for giving sugestion. Please help me to transfer the DNS,

Install DNS on the new (replacement) DC and if you
are using AD Integrated the zone will replicate automatically.

If not (then you are using Primary-Secondary instead) then
make the server a secondary, replicate, and swap types
on the two DNS servers (Primary->Secondary, Secondary->
Primary) -- change the client machines to point first (or solely)
to the DNS server that will remain on the net.

Sites and Services -- check the box on the new DC after
promote it. (SiteName->Servers-> DC Name->NTDS->
properties.)
also 5 FSMO roles

These SHOULD transfer automatically IF you properly
demote the old (departing) DC after the new one is online
AND IF your DNS is setup properly.

If not, you can Transfer (or Seize) such roles using (command
line):

ntdsutil roles

NEVER SEIZE a role if the old role holder will remain (or
be returned to) online.
with regards,
Balaji

--
Herb Martin, MCSE, MVP
Accelerated MCSE
Herb Martin said:
Andrei Ungureanu said:
add the new server as an additional domain controller for that domain,
transfer the roles and other services and demote the old one.

Remind him to make sure he has a GC, and DNS gets
transferred and reconfigured on all of the clients.

Also, even though the ROLES should transfer automatically,
make sure the 5 FSMO roles get taken by the other server.

Also, he MIGHT consider just keeping BOTH servers.

It's good to have more than one DC.

--
Herb Martin, MCSE, MVP
Accelerated MCSE
http://www.LearnQuick.Com
[phone number on web site]
Andrei Ungureanu
www.eventid.net
Test our new EventReader!
http://www.altairtech.ca/eventreader/default2.asp?ref=au

Hi,

I have W2K3 DC it is older machine and i bought new server class
machine so i want replace the DC to that machine, i will be thankfull
any one can help me to make the new machine up as aDC.
.

Thanks in Advance,
with regards,
Balaji.k

balaji

Hi,
I installed the DNS on the new server. The AD (Integrated) is replicated in
the forward lookup zone, In PDC the forward lookup zone have some division
like dc,domain ,gc and pdc but inside the Additional DC Forword lookup Zone
its says (same as the parent folder). How to ensure that PDC and ADC DNS
are replicated correctly.

regards
balaji

balaji said:
Hi,
I installed the DNS on the new server. The AD (Integrated) is replicated
in the forward lookup zone, In PDC the forward lookup zone have some
division like dc,domain ,gc and pdc but inside the Additional DC Forword
lookup Zone its says (same as the parent folder). How to ensure that PDC
and ADC DNS are replicated correctly.

Make sure that all such domains are AD-Integrated.

_MSDCS is sometimes a separate zone and sometimes
only a subdomain.

Make sure all such domains get replicated to the new DC.

--
Herb Martin, MCSE, MVP
Accelerated MCSE

Herb Martin said:
balaji said:
[...]

In my ADC has been created _MSDCS in that forward lookup zone says (same as
the parent folder)but in the PDC have some sub division like dc, domain,gc
and pdc.

how i get that subdivision in that ADC also.
Thanks in Advance
Balaji

Herb Martin said:
Thanks for giving sugestion. Please help me to transfer the DNS,

Install DNS on the new (replacement) DC and if you
are using AD Integrated the zone will replicate automatically.

If not (then you are using Primary-Secondary instead) then
make the server a secondary, replicate, and swap types
on the two DNS servers (Primary->Secondary, Secondary->
Primary) -- change the client machines to point first (or solely)
to the DNS server that will remain on the net.

GC and

balaji said:
Hi,

In my ADC has been created _MSDCS in that forward lookup zone says (same
as the parent folder)but in the PDC have some sub division like dc,
domain,gc and pdc.

[There is no "ADC", just DCs.]

If _MSDCS is a separate zone MAKE SURE it is set for
AD Integrated also; once replicated it should show up on
the other (new) DC-DNS.

If it is NOT a separate zone then it is part of the existing
zone you have already replicated.

--
Herb Martin, MCSE, MVP
Accelerated MCSE