How to control the program list (from the Start button)

J

jbclem

When you go Start/Programs and get a list of programs, on my computer it's a long list,
way off the bottom of the page. The scrolling is slow and only works from the arrow at
the bottom of the screen. There is a right click Sort choice, but in my case it sorts
only part of the list, and there are 20 or 30 unsorted programs listed below the sorted
ones.

Is there a size limit to this list of programs and how can I fix this problem and get
some more control over it?

jc

P

Pegasus \(MVP\)

jbclem said:
When you go Start/Programs and get a list of programs, on my computer it's a long list,
way off the bottom of the page. The scrolling is slow and only works from the arrow at
the bottom of the screen. There is a right click Sort choice, but in my case it sorts
only part of the list, and there are 20 or 30 unsorted programs listed below the sorted
ones.

Is there a size limit to this list of programs and how can I fix this problem and get
some more control over it?

jc

To sort the list: Right-click any one item, then click "Sort
alphabetically".

To reduce the number of items:
- Use "My Computer" to go into c:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start
Menu
- Create appropriate subfolders (e.g. "Games", "Sound")
- Drag links into these subfolders
- Drag links from "c:\Documents and Settings\jc\Start Menu" into these
same subfolders

Note: In most cases your shortcuts should all be in
"c:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu", not in
"c:\Documents and Settings\jc\Start Menu".

Ask a Question