How to completely hide certain folders and files from other usersusing the same computer?

• Thread starter Lain of the Wired
  • Start date
L

Lain of the Wired

I'm running XP Pro. I use the admin account on this computer, and I will be allowing other people to use this computer by enabling the Guest account for their use.
Is there a way to hide files and folders so that anyone who logs on using the Guest account would not detect their presence no matter what they do (eg. changing folder view settings to reveal hidden files, searching for specific file names/types)? If not, is there a way to password protect files and folders through WinXP Pro,
so that they can only be opened if the correct password is entered? I cannot put all those files into my account's "My Documents" folder because they're too big for
that hard drive; the files are distributed evenly across 2 hard drives. Any advice appreciated, thank you!

P

Phil

Disable simple file sharing and then use security and permissions to allow
or deny access to the files or folders.
In explore: tools, folder options, view tab, uncheck: use simple file
sharing, ok out.
Right click the file or folder, properties, security tab, add or delete
users and set allow or deny permissions as you like. Be careful always make
sure the admin has access, don't lock yourself out.
BTW - you should create a user with admin rights to use for your daily user.
The administrator account is a fail-safe account incase the other becomes
corrupt or unbootable. If something happens to the admin user and all you
have is a guest account you'll be in trouble.

Ask a Question