How to complete wipe all old info and restore to factory default

Richard Urban

Suggest you look at the manual and other instructions that came with your
computer. Manufacturers do things differently. There is no one set procedure
and you have not given enough information to give you specific instructions.
Also, find the recovery disks that came with your computer - if any.

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from George Ankner:

"How to complete wipe all old info" <How to complete wipe all old info
@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

Chuck

The methods are dependent on the tools and resources available.
Typically, a laptop is more complex than a desktop, due to custom hardware
and drivers.

Commonly needed resources
Mfrs restore disks
Bootable floppy or CD, Maybe an install CD
Original install CD's (May be in drive image format or others
Original drivers (May not work if later ops systems versions are to be used
during the restore.)
SlipStream (User generated XP install CD)
Applications install CD's (May not work if later ops systems versions are
to be used during the restore.)
Backup of current Users's files
CD Backup of current installation (Ghost is a commonly used program for
this)
Mfrs Hard Disk Utilities, to possibly include "low level" utilities

"How to complete wipe all old info" <How to complete wipe all old info
@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

Michael Stevens

In How to complete wipe all old info <How to complete wipe all old info
@discussions.microsoft.com> replied with a ;-)
i can't seem to restore my pc back to factory default, any help?

1. Check any manual furnished with the system from the manufacturer.

2. Look in Help and Support from the Start menu, major OEM's will have
specialized help information telling how to restore to original shipped
state.

3. Check the manufacturers web site support pages for manuals or tutorials
pertaining to restoring the system.

Restore XP
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/restore.htm
--
Michael Stevens MS-MVP XP
(e-mail address removed)

Wolf Kirchmeir

Richard said:
Suggest you look at the manual and other instructions that came with your
computer. Manufacturers do things differently. There is no one set procedure
and you have not given enough information to give you specific instructions.
Also, find the recovery disks that came with your computer - if any.

And when you do get your machine back to factory default, immediately
make recovery disks. Or else you'll have this problem all over again.

Also, regularly run registry cleaners and anti-malware tools to keep the
system in good shape.

I would also suggest that you make a system partition backup (bootable
image on CD or DVD) whenever you make major changes in installed
software. How do I know this is a Good Idea? Don't ask... :)

The more I use computers, the more I advocate Preventive Maintenance.
Budget both time and money for this.

Good luck.