new.pc

Richard Urban

Try here! http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=drive+scrubber

When you are done, either sell the computer "as is" - telling the purchaser
it's condition - or reinstall the base operating system. If doing the
latter, remember to supply the purchaser with the Windows XP CD and all
documentation (including the install key).

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from George Ankner:

zepphead

hi,
i am thinking of getting a new
pc[tower or a bundled pc package]
and selling this one,what i would like to
know is if i put restore disc in the pc-
before i sell it ,would it clear all my personal,
information visa,bank details,documents,
so no one could find them.if not could you tell
me how to clear the c:drive please..
thanks for your time....

You may insert your Windows CD or the so called recovery CD and then using it
to fully format the hard drive when the format is ready ,eject the CD and say
"Goodbye computer ! Have a nice new owner!!!"

When you buy your new computer ,please do not connect to internet
immediately ,but first make sure you have a firewall ON and antivirus ON.
Also read this Microsoft site for new computers:
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/moredone/yournewpc.mspx

:)

Panda_man

please search the board before you post as there are plenty of answers to
posts like this, this is an extract from one....

"If you want to do a total scrub, then the free Darik's Boot
and Nuke will do the job."

http://dban.sourceforge.net/

im pretty sure that if you do a restoe there may still be some of your data
left on it.

pete

antioch

Hi Pete
I thought this newsgroup was for 'newusers'. It takes time to get to know
whets what!
An admonishment worded as such does little to encourage first time users,
like myself, despite being a reader and user of these groups for over a
year, to come and ask again.
In any case, most of those who give their time and 'most valued
professional' help for free, say 'Ask away'
So ask away Zepphead and don't worry about the occasional slap on the wrist.
I've had a few. I am sure its not meant to offend, but you can understand
why some do get annoyed with the same questions being asked time after time.
Well those annoyed don't have to reply, do they?
Another bit of advice I got(a bit late though) was to be wary of anything
you may be asked to 'download' etc.
I recently sold my previous computer - I removed the hard disc and allowed
for the buyer to buy a new one, in the sale price. I kept the HDD - might
come in use at some time.
Rgds
Antioch
'You cant educate pork'

zepphead said:
hi,
i am thinking of getting a new
pc[tower or a bundled pc package]
and selling this one,what i would like to
know is if i put restore disc in the pc-
before i sell it ,would it clear all my personal,
information visa,bank details,documents,
so no one could find them.if not could you tell
me how to clear the c:drive please..
thanks for your time....

Richard Urban

Zepphead is NOT a new user. He has been posting here for months.

zepphead said:
hi,
i am thinking of getting a new
pc[tower or a bundled pc package]
and selling this one,what i would like to
know is if i put restore disc in the pc-
before i sell it ,would it clear all my personal,
information visa,bank details,documents,
so no one could find them.if not could you tell
me how to clear the c:drive please..
thanks for your time....

Ken Blake, MVP

zepphead said:
i am thinking of getting a new
pc[tower or a bundled pc package]
and selling this one,what i would like to
know is if i put restore disc in the pc-
before i sell it ,would it clear all my personal,
information visa,bank details,documents,
so no one could find them.if not could you tell
me how to clear the c:drive please..
thanks for your time....

It all depends on how paranoid you want to be.

1. You can simply reformat the drive and reinstall Windows (using the
restore CD in your case). That makes it difficult for anyone to recover
anything.

2. You can run one of the several third-party utilities that overwrites the
drive with zeros multiple times. That makes it
much harder to recover anything.

However note that there exists sophisticated techniques that sometimes work
at recovering data even from drives overwritten multiple times. That's why
the US government doesn't rely on any such software techniques, but
physically melts drives containing really sensitive data in a furnace.

So there's no such thing as perfection, and you have to decide what's good
enough for you. If it were me, step 1 would be fine. It's highly unlikely
that someone you sold the computer to would know how or want to go to the
trouble of looking for anything on it.

zepphead

--
Prevention is always better than cure !
Panda TruPrevent - the most intelligent technology to combat unknown

:

hi,
i am thinking of getting a new
pc[tower or a bundled pc package]
and selling this one,what i would like to
know is if i put restore disc in the pc-
before i sell it ,would it clear all my personal,
information visa,bank details,documents,
so no one could find them.if not could you tell
me how to clear the c:drive please..
thanks for your time....
for your reply, ill look it up,cheers...

zepphead

zepphead wrote:

[...]

i think ill do a trade in not privite sell,cheers...ken,,

Ken Blake, MVP

zepphead said:
zepphead wrote:

i am thinking of getting a new
pc[tower or a bundled pc package]
and selling this one,what i would like to
know is if i put restore disc in the pc-
before i sell it ,would it clear all my personal,
information visa,bank details,documents,
so no one could find them.if not could you tell
me how to clear the c:drive please..
thanks for your time....
So there's no such thing as perfection, and you have to decide what's
good
enough for you. If it were me, step 1 would be fine. It's highly
unlikely
that someone you sold the computer to would know how or want to go to
the
trouble of looking for anything on it.

i never knew that thanks ken
i think ill do a trade in not privite sell,cheers...ken,,

You're welcome, but pretty much the same issues apply with a trade-in.

Ken Blake, MVP

zepphead said:
Richard Urban Wrote:

a slow learner in the bottom set,at school then the only
computer they had 1 sincler something?and 2 comador 64,
the waiting list to join computer club was endless,
now im in my 30;s iam a bit of a techno phobe,
i will search the posts from now on.thank you for your help
i do appresiate all the replys i recive,thanks

There's nothing wrong with searching to see if your question has been
answered in the past, but there's also nothing wrong with asking a question
that's been previously answered. There are very few new questions, and if
everyone found his answer by searching, these newsgroiup would probably get
only one or two new questions a week and would hardly need to exist anymore.

Most of us don't mind someone's asking a question that has previously been
answered. I know I don't.

zepphead

"pete" (e-mail address removed) wrote in message
[...]

hi,richard-just to let you know i was
a slow learner in the bottom set,at school then the only
computer they had 1 sincler something?and 2 comador 64,
the waiting list to join computer club was endless,
now im in my 30;s iam a bit of a techno phobe,
i will search the posts from now on.thank you for your help
i do appresiate all the replys i recive,thanks
zepphead..

zepphead

antioch said:
[...]

Ken
Many thanks for your patience and courteous replies - lets face it, there
are many who post who must be grateful for the help you and most of your
colleagues give. I hope that the odd 'thank you' makes up for the many 'no