How to change the folder icon for multiple folders at the same tim

I wish to change the standard folder icon for not just one folder - which I
know how to do - but for several dozen folders. It is my desire to use the
same icon for all the folders involved. (I would like to select another icon
from the Windows XP selection shown when you right-click on a folder, select
the Customize tab, and click on Change Icon). But instead of merely changing
the icon for only one of my folders, how can I use the icon I select for ALL
my folders, changing them all at the same time? Any help is more than
appreciated!

Thanks,

Rebecca

Thota Umesh

Well one simple way is to copy the desktop.ini file generated in the folder
you changed the icon, to all the folders. if too many folders / subfolders
are there use a batch copy tools (many freely avaiable) to do the copy. else
use command prompt (autocomplete feature) wud prove gr8 feature.

Thank you, Thota - it worked like a charm! But indeed, there are a lot of
folders to consider - can you recommend one of those batch copy tools you
mentioned? I think at this point it would be a good idea to ask what exactly
they are, and how do they work?

Thanks again - Rebecca

Thota Umesh

Hii, u are welcome. Batch tools are tools that can add / remove / compare /
search : over various folders and locations one by one. there are many free
batch tools available but u might need to google them. here's other ways:

Copy desktop.ini in explorer right click copy. (or select desktop.ini press
(Crtl + C)) next just browse thru the subfolders and do paste ( shift + ins)
or right click paste. u DONT need to copy desktop.ini again just go to
another folder and paste again.[copy once paste many]

Another way : recommended only if folders are 100+ caz its a lengthy
process. Guide thru:
(1) go to the parent folder using cmd in start menu run. then type
"dir/a:d>dir.txt" ( use this "dir/s/a:d>dir.txt" if there are subfolders
within subfolders.) without quotes, this will save the folder names to
dir.txt file.
(2) now open the text in notepad (notepad dir.txt (type same in command
prompt)) and except folders name delete all other data like date etc. no
need to erase manually do it with search n replace with space charector.,
now add the following copy desktop.ini .\subfolder to all folders in line
copy paste. save the file as a .bat run it and desktop.ini will be copied to
all folders.

Hope this helps...,
Umesh Thota.
www.windowsworkshop.com

David Candy

For /r %A in (.) do copy c:\test.txt "%A"&Attrib -s -h +r "%A"

Will do the current folder and all sub folders. It copies a file (c:\test.txt in this example) and sets the folder to read only.
How to lose a war in Iraq
http://webdiary.com.au/cms/?q=node/1335#comment-48641

Rebecca Thomas said:
Thank you, Thota - it worked like a charm! But indeed, there are a lot of
folders to consider - can you recommend one of those batch copy tools you
mentioned? I think at this point it would be a good idea to ask what
exactly
they are, and how do they work?

Thanks again - Rebecca

Thota Umesh

Kool this works better than mine! just paste it in the cmd prompt of the
parent folder. replace test.txt with desktop.ini

For /r %A in (.) do copy c:\desktop.ini "%A"&Attrib -s -h +r "%A"

/
[...]

message
Thank you, Thota - it worked like a charm! But indeed, there are a lot of
folders to consider - can you recommend one of those batch copy tools you
mentioned? I think at this point it would be a good idea to ask what
exactly
they are, and how do they work?

Thanks again - Rebecca

Donald A. Herman

Just be aware that their are some folders that you might not want to replace
the original ini. I didn't check the command to see if it will overwrite
one.

--
Donald A. Herman
Software - Scheduler Pro, Disk Cataloger, Math Wizard

: