how to catalog tons of CDs with mp3 files inside

andrea Molinari

Hi all
I've a huge collection of MP3 files stored on CDs (1000+), that I want
to catalog in the quickest way. Is there any software that allows me to
do the following:
- insert the CD
- read the files on the cd
- produce an output with file names and ID3 tags
- this output is AUTOMATICALLY saved in a txt/html file with a
progressive number (autoincrement)
- this auto-incremented number will be the number that I'll write on
the CD

So I have 1000+ html files with the full content of my CDs. Winamp do
this, but
- on every CD I have to give the name of the file (234.html, 235.html,
.....)
- I have to select all the files
- I have to manually refresh the list

Any suggestion? Or a freeware library that read ID3 tags, so I can
create a quick&dirty utility for the interested ones?
Thx

Andrea

jmatt

Check these out.

Advanced Disk Cataloging System
http://pmeindre.free.fr/ADiCS.html
http://www.all4you.dk/FreewareWorld/links.php?cat=79

Cathy
http://rvas.webzdarma.cz/
http://rvas.webzdarma.cz/Cathy.zip

CD Catalog
http://www.freewarehome.com/index.html?/System_Utilities/File_Management/CDs_t.html
http://softwarebybrian.com/index.php?body=Freeware.php

CD Navigator
http://www.geocities.com/siliconvalley/lab/2058/
http://www.all4you.dk/FreewareWorld/links.php?page=8&cat=02

Disk Catalog
http://www.rob.cybercomm.nl/diskcat/index.html

Disclib
http://www.lyrasoftware.com/disclib/
http://www.all4you.dk/FreewareWorld/links.php?page=29&cat=005

DiskFinder
http://home.planet.nl/~gaale131/df_home.htm
http://www.freewarehome.com/index.html?/Home_and_Hobby/CDs/Misc_Tools_t.html

File List Creator
http://skyscraper.fortunecity.com/coding/934

GWhere
http://www.gwhere.org/home.php3?idLanguage=US
http://www.all4you.dk/FreewareWorld/links.php?page=62&cat=007

InsideCAT
http://www.vgtsoftware.com/disc_cataloguer/disc_cataloguer.htm
http://www.webattack.com/dlnow/rdir.dll?id=105999

ListMaker
http://www.nwlink.com/~koolguy/home.html

MaxLister
http://www.acc.umu.se/~max/maxlister/

Media Catalog Studio
http://www.maniactools.com/soft/media_catalog_studio/index.shtml

MediaMan
http://www.freeware-guide.com/dir/mmedia/manage.html
http://www.imediaman.com/

MediaMonkey
http://www.alwaysfreeware.co.uk/audio.html
http://www.download.com/3000-2141-10109807.html
http://www.mediamonkey.com/MediaMonkey_Setup.exe
http://www.mediamonkey.com/download.htm

MP3 Cat
http://tellini.info/software/mp3cat/

MP3 Cataloguer
http://users.skynet.be/fa210674/MP3Cataloguer/Index.html
http://www.all4you.dk/FreewareWorld/links.php?page=66&cat=005

MP3 CDOrganizer
http://www.ranainside.com/software_mp3cdorganizer.html
http://www.all4you.dk/FreewareWorld/links.php?page=66&cat=005

MP3Utility
http://www.geocities.com/mp3utility/
http://www.all4you.dk/FreewareWorld/links.php?page=71&cat=005

Music Archive
http://www.publicware.dk/EN/MusicArchive/
http://www.webattack.com/Freeware/gmm/fwmusicman.shtml

MusicDB
http://www.ultima-thule.co.uk

MyInfo
http://www.filelibrary.com/Contents/Multi-Platform/105/50.html

NgDiskCat
http://ngdiskcat.nickgeorgakis.cjb.net/
http://www.freewarehome.com/index.html?/System_Utilities/File_Management/Other_File_Managers_t.html

Offline CD Browser
http://www.anderssoftware.com/ocdb/

OrangeCD Player
http://www.firetongue.com/
http://www.all4you.dk/FreewareWorld/links.php?page=17&cat=016

PlayEX
http://nautrup.com/pex/PlayEX.zip
http://www.all4you.dk/FreewareWorld/links.php?page=18&cat=016

Ruby
http://www.warpengine.com/

Samba Professional
http://www.zylsoft.com/samba.htm
http://www.all4you.dk/FreewareWorld/links.php?page=100&cat=014

Simple Disc Cataloger
http://www.aronson.co.il/sdc/SDCHelp.htm
http://www.all4you.dk/FreewareWorld/links.php?page=89&cat=005

SoftCAT
http://www.fnprg.com/softcat/
http://www.fnprg.com/softcat/softcat.htm

Super AudioArchive
http://www.nonags.com/nonags/mp3man.html
http://www.reg4down.com/cata/index_audio_and_videomusic_management_5.htm

VisiTracks
http://www.sover.net/~wysiwygx/MMedia2.html
http://sonofspy3.spymac.com/Sofffffffware2.html
http://www.sover.net/~wysiwygx/Sofffffffware2.html

Visual CD
http://boozet.xepher.net/viscd/index.htm

Zzzbla's CD Catalog
http://zzz.330.ca/progz/zcdc.shtml

Vic Dura

Check these out.

Wow! That's an impressive list. Do you mind if I ask how you compiled
it? It looks like a work that has been in progress for quite a while.

jmatt

"Wow! That's an impressive list. Do you mind if I ask how you compiled
it? It looks like a work that has been in progress for quite a while"

Yes Vic, about 4 years, whenever I spot a program that is in a group a
keep a file for, I do a quick search & if it's not there, it's added.
Here is how.

I made my own Database using EditPad Lite because it can handle large
files, WordPad is similar.
Use Karen's Replicator for automatic backup's every 15 mins.
http://download.jgsoft.com/editpad/EditPadLite.zip
EditPad Lite is a general-purpose text editor that works with Windows
95, NT4, 98, 2000, ME and XP. It is designed to be small and compact,
yet offer all the functionality you expect from a basic text editor.
EditPad Lite is free for non-commercial use.
Karen's Replicator
http://www.karenware.com/powertools/ptreplicator.asp
Automatically backup files, directories, even entire drives! Karen's
Replicator copies selected files from one drive/folder to another.
Source and Destination folders can reside anywhere on your network.
Files larger than 2 GB are supported. Options include repeated copies
at intervals as short as a few minutes, or as long as several months,
copy only files that have changed, and the replication of file
deletions.

Here is how I do it.

1. Make a Folder any name you like ( lets call it Farm, just for this
demo )

2. Put that folder anywhere you like.

3. Open EditPad & type, or copy & paste your information.

4. Close EditPad & name it a name that is the main theme of your notes
( lets call it Food )
Select the Farm folder you made to put the note in.
If you have more than one main theme, open up the note & copy & paste
it into a new note & name it by the other name. Sometimes I have 3 or 4
names for the same doc.
The reason for this is, that it is hard to remember under what name you
filed it.

5. To find a doc.
Start > Find > Files or Folders & in the top space type Food & press
Enter ( W95/98/ME )

If you can't remember the name Food ( or any of the other names ) but
you remember you had the name Drug in the note.
Type Drug in the 2nd space & press Enter.

Make sure you have the correct folder > Farm, selected in the 3rd space
before you start your search.

For XP, I use this, which has a similar presentation & operation to > (
W95/98/ME )
XP Search replacement > Find.zip
http://www.shellfront.org/utils/

andrea Molinari

wow, that's great....your choice? :)

andrea

Check these out.

Advanced Disk Cataloging System
http://pmeindre.free.fr/ADiCS.html
http://www.all4you.dk/FreewareWorld/links.php?cat=79

Cathy
http://rvas.webzdarma.cz/
http://rvas.webzdarma.cz/Cathy.zip

CD Catalog
http://www.freewarehome.com/index.html?/System_Utilities/File_Mana
gement%2FCDs_t.html
[...]

gement%2FOther_File_Managers_t.html

[...]

jmatt

I don't use any andrea, choice is very personel, depends on your
operating system, your skill level & so on, its a long list.

Peter Seiler

andrea Molinari - 03.01.2006 07:43 :
wow, that's great....your choice? :)

andrea

why do you unnecessarely quote ~160 quoting lines again?
Please learn to quote. THX.

John Corliss

andrea said:
Hi all
I've a huge collection of MP3 files stored on CDs (1000+), that I want
to catalog in the quickest way. Is there any software that allows me to
do the following:
- insert the CD
- read the files on the cd
- produce an output with file names and ID3 tags
- this output is AUTOMATICALLY saved in a txt/html file with a
progressive number (autoincrement)
- this auto-incremented number will be the number that I'll write on
the CD

So I have 1000+ html files with the full content of my CDs. Winamp do
this, but
- on every CD I have to give the name of the file (234.html, 235.html,
....)
- I have to select all the files
- I have to manually refresh the list

Any suggestion? Or a freeware library that read ID3 tags, so I can
create a quick&dirty utility for the interested ones?
Thx

I use Catfish16:

http://www.equi4.com/catfish.html

--
Regards from John Corliss
I don't reply to trolls and other such idiots. No adware, cdware,

Ron May

Message-ID said:
Hi all
I've a huge collection of MP3 files stored on CDs (1000+), that I want
to catalog in the quickest way. Is there any software that allows me to
do the following:
- insert the CD
- read the files on the cd
- produce an output with file names and ID3 tags
- this output is AUTOMATICALLY saved in a txt/html file with a
progressive number (autoincrement)
- this auto-incremented number will be the number that I'll write on
the CD

This does not read ID3 tags, but if you're looking for a master MP3
database with unbelievably fast search that can catalog both HD and
removable media, you might want to check out Cathy:

http://rvas.webzdarma.cz/
http://rvas.webzdarma.cz/Cathy.zip

Try it out on a handful of CDs to see if it might be close to what you
want.

dansheen

andrea said:
[...]

I've been doing the same with mp3s I've stored on dvds. I tried several
recommended programs- catfish, cathy and a couple of others. I've ended
up using directory lister- a couple of the other programs save in
software specific formats. http://freeware.prv.pl/

rdt

Doing the laundry does not take that much time when compare to writing
the application she was wanted.