how to assign a "hot-key" or "Macro" to Word "strikethough" feature

I want to assign a hot key or control-key to MS WORD's strikethough feature.

That way I can highlight text and use the hot-key to strikethough it instead of
having to go to FORMAT --> FONT --> Strikethrough every time I want
to strikethough text or remove the strikethough.

Very similar to if you want to BOLD text you highlight it and do a CTRL-B.

I found this feature in EXCEL works by doing a CTRL-5, but I can't seem to find
a similar working feature in MS WORD.

Anyone know how to do this?

Best to CC: a copy of your reply to mike_sutton at yahoo dot com (had to spell out due to spam problems)
Don't use the word MICROSOFT in your message either as I have a filter set up to block those
due to all the fake mircrosoft "update" spam emails that people are sending out with virus's attached.

Thanks. Mike

lostinspace

I want to assign a hot key or control-key to MS WORD's strikethough feature.

That way I can highlight text and use the hot-key to strikethough it instead of
having to go to FORMAT --> FONT --> Strikethrough every time I want
to strikethough text or remove the strikethough.

Very similar to if you want to BOLD text you highlight it and do a CTRL-B.

I found this feature in EXCEL works by doing a CTRL-5, but I can't seem to find
a similar working feature in MS WORD.

Anyone know how to do this?

Best to CC: a copy of your reply to (had to spell out due to spam problems)
Don't use the word MICROSOFT in your message either as I have a filter set up to block those
due to all the fake mircrosoft "update" spam emails that people are
sending out with virus's attached.
Thanks. Mike

Assign shortcut keys to a command or other item
You can assign a shortcut key to a command, macro, font, AutoText entry,
style, or a commonly used symbol.

1.. On the Tools menu, click Customize.

2.. Click Keyboard.

3.. In the Save changes in box, click the current document name or
template in which you want to save the shortcut key changes.

4.. In the Categories box, click the category that contains the command or
other item.

5.. In the box to the right, click the name of the command or other item.
Any shortcut keys that are currently assigned appear in the Current keys
box.

6.. In the Press new shortcut key box, type the shortcut key combination
you want to assign.

7.. Click Assign.
Note The key combination CTRL+ALT+F8 is reserved for initiating keyboard
programming on programmable keyboards, so you cannot assign this combination
if you use a programmable keyboard.

Shauna Kelly

Hi Mike

Create a little macro as follows. It will toggle strikethrough on and
off.

Option Explicit

Sub ToggleStrikeThrough()

On Error GoTo EndSub

Selection.Range.Font.StrikeThrough = _
Not Selection.Range.Font.StrikeThrough

EndSub:
End Sub

If you're not sure what to do with the macro, see
http://www.gmayor.dsl.pipex.com/installing_macro.htm and
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/MacrosVBA/CreateAMacro.htm

To allocate a shortcut key to the macro, Tools > Customize. Click the
Keyboard button. In the left hand box, choose Macros. In the right hand
box choose your macro. And create your shortcut key.

Hope this helps.

Shauna Kelly. Microsoft MVP.
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word
Melbourne, Australia

Mike said:
[...]

You don't need this macro. Follow the advice of LostInSpace. The
Strikethrough command is one of the items available in the Format
category, but I seemed determined to find the complicated solution<g>.