How Strange!!

Reaction score
Im about to buy a couple of 512Mb sodimms and was going to buy them from Crucial. But the Crucial website is selling them £5 more expensive each than Ebuyer is!! How can that be?!! lol.

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Well it will all depend on when Ebuyer bought them wholesale and the price at that time - Crucial tend to move with the global memory price - also Ebuyer may just want to shift them from stock...

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Adywebb said:
Well it will all depend on when Ebuyer bought them wholesale and the price at that time - Crucial tend to move with the global memory price - also Ebuyer may just want to shift them from stock...
Truth, buy the cheapest. :)

Reaction score
Hey,

No, ive not bought the cheapest yet guys. Im still looking at prices etc etc. I probably will just buy them from Ebuyer, i guess they will be the same thing!! :-/ Hope so!! lol.

Just goes to show you i guess, going direct doesnt always mean it's the cheapest.

Bodhi

Reaction score
Wierd.

You'd think that they would have the lowest prices on their own stock? Why would they sell wholesale a substantial amount cheaper than they retail.

Unless of course, the ebuyer guy is an idiot and making a loss :p

Reaction score
Yeah, thats what i dont get. If it's exactly the same product i know i'll be buying it from Ebuyer. Just puts me off slightly that it's cheaper than Crucial's own website.

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
PotGuy said:
Wierd.

You'd think that they would have the lowest prices on their own stock? Why would they sell wholesale a substantial amount cheaper than they retail.

Unless of course, the ebuyer guy is an idiot and making a loss :p
I thought I'd explained 2 possible reasons in my post above, so I'll try again :)

Crucial's own stock tends to be the latest batches, they buy the chips that go on the modules at the current market rate which fluctuates according to supply and demand - the cost will also depend on which type of chips they currently use ie promos/micron etc on those particular modules, sometimes it changes.

So, Ebuyers MAY be stuff they got from Crucial many months ago at a cheaper price to what they are now, or they may just want to shift them out of stock to get them moving - this is why you often see 'specials' at these retailers - and yes sometimes they sell at a loss or at or just above cost just to move them.

Reaction score
:blush:

Sorry ady I didn't read the post properly

*Slaps himself in the face*

Good explanation.

Reaction score
Very good explanation! lol.

I think i'll buy them from Ebuyer, they are cheaper and even if they are older stock, i wouldnt imagine they'll be poorer quality.

Bodhi

Ask a Question