How much ink does a Canon BCI-3e Black cartridge hold?

Daniel Prince

How much ink does a Canon BCI-3e Black cartridge hold? I need to
know so that I can figure out how many times I can refill a cart
with eight ounces of ink.

I have looked on several ink web sites and none of them say.

Thank you in advance for all replies.

George E. Cawthon

Daniel said:
How much ink does a Canon BCI-3e Black cartridge hold? I need to
know so that I can figure out how many times I can refill a cart
with eight ounces of ink.

I have looked on several ink web sites and none of them say.

Thank you in advance for all replies.

My refill kit says that the BCI-3e holds 25 ml of
ink and you can expect to refill with 20-22 ml.
The refill amount is less than the full contents
because some ink will always be retained.

Since 1 oz equals 29.57 ml, 8 oz would be about
236 ml. Assuming a refill is 22 ml, you would be
able to refill nearly 11 times.

I assume you just want to figure out the cost of
the ink compared to buying new or refilled
cartridges. Bear in mind that you do not want the
cartridge to go empty and as others recommend, you
should probably refill when the cartridge is 1/2
to 1/4 full.

Martin Trautmann

How much ink does a Canon BCI-3e Black cartridge hold? I need to
know so that I can figure out how many times I can refill a cart
with eight ounces of ink.

I have looked on several ink web sites and none of them say.

Where did you look? Personally, I've seen many sites naming numbers.

Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 14:09:11 +0100

However, I found different numbers within the range of 26 and 30 ml.
Typically, the smallest is the original filling, while later models or
third party cartridges name higher numbers.

What you will refill should be a smaller number, since there's ink left
within the cartridge before.

I guess you may find the conversion of ounces and ml on your own now ;-)

- Martin

measekite

it is printing on the packaged

Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 14:09:11 +0100

However, I found different numbers within the range of 26 and 30 ml.
Typically, the smallest is the original filling, while later models or
third party cartridges name higher numbers.

What you will refill should be a smaller number, since there's ink left
within the cartridge before.

I guess you may find the conversion of ounces and ml on your own now ;-)

- Martin

This should cover you for the most common conversions:

http://www.sciencemadesimple.com/conversions.html

Martin Trautmann

This should cover you for the most common conversions:

http://www.sciencemadesimple.com/conversions.html

Thanks - I was interested and had a first look.

What I see is

* ounces (apothecary)
* ounces (avoirdupois)
* ounces (troy)

converting to weight measurements (gram) (while I did not know long and
short tons yet)

and liquid conversions from litres (or ml) to
* ounces (British, fluid)
* ounces (US, fluid)

I must admit that personally, I'm not used to the real conversion of
ounces. I'd guess that fluid US ounces would be typical here, but I'm
not really sure.

100 g =
3.22 ounces (apothecary)
3.53 ounces (avoirdupois)
3.22 ounces (troy)

100 ml =
3.52 ounces (British, fluid)
3.38 ounces (US, fluid)

.... and probably 100 ml ink is slightly more than 100 g

Thanks to the Frenchmen, the European continental people got SI units
which cause much less headache. Thus we may concentrate e.g. on the
'weight' of 100 g, although in fact it's a mass only.

BTW: people whou know the German/Bavarian/Munich October-Fest might know
the theoretical and practical amount of one mass ;-)

- Martin

Gary Tait

The OEM cartridge holds around 26 ml.

I might put around 8 CC or more per refill.

I figure maybe 6 refills/8 oz.

mcheu

Gary said:
The OEM cartridge holds around 26 ml.

I might put around 8 CC or more per refill.

I figure maybe 6 refills/8 oz

Sorry, but I seem to be missing something. If the cartridge holds
26mL, then why only put in 8cc (1cc == 1mL)?

Gary Tait

Sorry, but I seem to be missing something. If the cartridge holds
26mL, then why only put in 8cc (1cc == 1mL)?

The cartridge holds 26 ML total. I put around that in initially into a
new empty cart. When refilling, the foam half will still be full (or
still be some ink on the bottom of the reservoir), so the cart only
needs "topped up" with around 8ML or so.

Yes, 1cc=1ml.

mcheu

Gary said:
The cartridge holds 26 ML total. I put around that in initially into a
new empty cart. When refilling, the foam half will still be full (or
still be some ink on the bottom of the reservoir), so the cart only
needs "topped up" with around 8ML or so.

Yes, 1cc=1ml.

Thanks. That clears up that mystery

George E. Cawthon

Gary said:
4ax.com:

The OEM cartridge holds around 26 ml.

I might put around 8 CC or more per refill.

I figure maybe 6 refills/8 oz.

Your math or conversion factor from ml to oz is
defective. six refills at 8 ml is 48 ml and less
than 2 oz.