How many *MORE* laws did I break?

Homer

Verily I say unto thee, that Andy spake thusly:
buying one is fine reselling it with a cheap copy of windows or an
illegal copy is wrong sa the buyer gets stuck with a copy of windows
microsoft might not support at all.

I feel sure there ought to be a reply here from "Andy", but I can't seem
to find it.

Is his newsreader broken?

Justin

[QUOTE="Homer said:
I bought another Dell D430 without an Operating system off eBay. I
upgraded the RAM to 2GB. But of course I needed to install Windows.
So I bought a memory panel with an XP professional COA on it for a
whole $5, put that panel on the laptop and sold it! It works
perfectly. So, how horrible a person am I for stealing from
Microsoft? Should I be purged? Should I turn myself into the
Microsoft piracy gulag?
I feel so guilty. But I think I can live with it.

Read the Windows EULA.

"This software is licensed not sold"

You are not the licensor for Windows, therefore you don't have the right
to sell a Windows license.

However, IIRC there was a legal case which upheld a seller's rights to
sell used software under First Sale doctrine, seemingly undermining the
enforceability of Microsoft's (or indeed any) EULA.

Personally I'm less concerned with the fact that you possibly "violated"
some highly questionable "IP" claim, and more concerned with the fact
that you destroyed a perfectly good PC by infecting it with Windows.[/QUOTE]

Is that what I did? I don't even know. All i wanted was a valid COA to
put on the bottom of the machine so I could sell it.
So I guess the person I bought it from is violating the EULA and so did
I.
I must repent!
I shall repent by ordering some more...

Justin

buying one is fine reselling it with a cheap copy of windows or an
illegal copy is wrong sa the buyer gets stuck with a copy of windows
microsoft might not support at all.

I feel sure there ought to be a reply here from "Andy", but I can't seem
to find it.

Is his newsreader broken?[/QUOTE]

I don't know.
But mu PayPal account is working perfectly! Buying more any more COAs.
I bought two XP Home editions, and one Pro.
I think I'm racking up 50+ years in federal pound me in the ass prison!

Justin

[QUOTE="Homer said:
That's the one.

And most other subjects, it seems.

Personally I find the American legal system to be odd in the extreme.

Thankfully I don't need to worry if it's illegal to eat ice cream on a
Sunday in London, but perfectly legal in Glasgow.

The law exists for two reasons; to keep stupid people from hurting
themselves, and to keep the poor in line.
The rest of us can do pretty much whatever we want - short of a capital
crime.
Hell, even buying COAs off eBay while overzealous self appointed M$
MVP's watch on in horror!
Oh shit... there's a black van parked outside watching the house!

Justin

Phil Stovell said:
UK suppliers have been billed £2000 by MS for doing that, or a court
appearance. See uk.adverts.computer, the thread starting below and several
earlier threads. Some suppliers now install Ubuntu on second hand
machines, rather than risk the wrath of MS.

Blimey!