How do I create an Access training request database?

I am a Nurse Educator; I coordinate corporate wellness classes. I would like
to create a simple database/class request form that I could post on my
company's intranet. The goal is for training managers to use drop-down menus
to select training date, specific times (0800-0900, etc.), training type
(annual, refresher, initial, etc.), training topic (HIV awareness, STD
prevention, etc.), training site (building/rm number), requesting point of
contact (POC), alternate POC, contact info (phone, fax, etc), and a couple of
free text blocks for areas not otherwise covered.

I looked through the existing templats but didn't see exactly what I wanted,
the closest was the event management template.

Can anyone help me out?

Ed Warren

I think you are 'beyond' simple when you want to build a system that will
work on an intranet and/or internet. You're not going to find a 'one size
fits all' application that really matches your needs. Is the goal to teach
managers to use various types of menus or for them to be able to use these
menus to track the required training? You need to better state your 'use
case'. As stated it is far from 'simple'

You are going to need at least several tables, then some forms and reports.
If you are going to have the user interact on an intranet, you can use the
web data pages in Access (providing all the users also have access).
Otherwise you are going to be into some coding to build the user interface
you envision.

Concepts you have listed
Corporate wellness classes
People: managers, Points of contact, Implied (Employees)
training date
times
training type
training topic
training site
----------------------
One would like to get the list of employees from some already existing HR
database, reusing their unique keys so you can trace the training and tie it
to the HR records.
----------------more complexity.!

One could guess that a training class is:
one and only one topic presented at one and only one site at one and only
one time
e.g. the tuple (topic, site, time) form a unique key.

One also could guess that 0:Many employees are trained in a class. The
results of the training is either 'completed' or 'not completed'

So now we have
Employee table (empID, fname, lastname, etc.)
EmployeeRole (RoleID, RoleDescription) e.g. RoleID (1), RoleDescription
(Manager), Allowed to make entries into the database.
EmployeeInRole(empID, RoleID) (Each employee can be in 0 to many roles and
each role can have 0 to many employees in that role)
TrainingType (TrainingTypeID, TrainingType Description, Frequency (Annual,
Initial, Refresher, etc)
TrainingTopics (TrainingTopicID, TrainingTopic, TopicRequirementSourceID)
TrainingRequirementSources (SourceID, SourceDescription)
(any there are many more depending on the application ... the above is just
a quick example)

To present the above on an intranet is the more interesting, you will want a
web development tool, like MSFrontpage, DreamWeaver, Visual Studio, etc. to
help with building the presentation layer. (of course one could do it all
with notepad, but there is already enough pain the the world ;>).

Hope the above is enough to get you started.

Lots of luck.

Ed Warren.

"Michael the Nurse Educator" <Michael the Nurse