Hotmail Email forwarding

Reaction score
I had a hotmail email address, then I added an outlook one, and arranged for the hotmail emails to be forwarded. I have not used the hotmail one for ages, so would like to stop the forwarded emails - they are all spam anyway. I can't work out how to delete the old address - when I click on the options/accounts tab, the hotmail address isn't there. How do I get rid of it? I can't block the emails, as the hotmail address is 'mine'.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Welcome to PCR :).

Can you log in to the hotmail account separately? It sounds like you may have two separate accounts and you'll need to log in to your old one and then disable the forwarding setup (or just delete the Hotmail account if you're no longer using it).

Reaction score
Ok, so I logged into my Hotmail account, but in both this and my Outlook account, there were no connected accounts, (how come it's sending emails on??) so I'm not able to turn off auto forwarding. In the Hotmail account settings, the 'stop forwarding' page doesn't give me the option to put in an account to then stop forwarding. I'm not sure how I can delete the account either...

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
You should be able to close your Hotmail account using this link:

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=523898

However.... make sure you don't close your Outlook account at the same time, as there is a chance they could be linked somehow. I'm not sure how MS handled the Hotmail>Outlook migration, but it sounds like you have 2 separate accounts here.

Reaction score
Hello again Ian, I finally got round to using the link you gave, logging in with my hotmaill account, and it said 'are you sure you want to close your outlook account'!
So now I'm at a loss - any ideas?
Thanks, Judy

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hi Judy,

I think in this case it may be worth contacting Outlook support to see if they can help with it, as it's hard for me to know how the accounts are linked - and I don't want to give the wrong advice and you end up losing both accounts.

I think you should be able to get assistance once you're logged in to your e-mail, or perhaps via this link:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/contactus/

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Hi there Judy,

I also had a similar problem but in my case it was two outlook accounts, one of which was opened in 2011 and then never used and totally forgotten. A more recent account is the one I want to use but whenever I sign in I am taken to the old account. Like you, attempts to delete this old account have been unsuccessful.

In desperation I contacted Microsoft and had several "conversations" with various agents via their internal email system, known as Chat. All of them assured me that there was an easy way to sort this out and we tried three or four different ways but, no, I still got the old account on sign in. I eventually gave up and moved my email account to Gmail.

I realise that this is not very encouraging for you but I think Ian's suggestion of contacting MS Support is probably the best. Maybe a new look at this might be the answer.

As to blocking the forwarded emails from your old Hotmail account have you tried (you probably have) going to Settings in the Outlook account then Options then Junk Email then Blocked Senders and entering the email address of your old Hotmail account. Not sure if this will get over the fact that the Hotmail account is "yours" but maybe worth a try.

If you do find a solution to this please be certain to post on this thread because I will be very keen to know the answer.:)

Best of luck,

Niv

Reaction score
Hi Judy,

I think in this case it may be worth contacting Outlook support to see if they can help with it, as it's hard for me to know how the accounts are linked - and I don't want to give the wrong advice and you end up losing both accounts.

I think you should be able to get assistance once you're logged in to your e-mail, or perhaps via this link:
Hi Judy,

Hi Judy,

I appreciate your help Ian, and will certainly post if I'm successful (or not!)
Judy

Reaction score
Hi there Judy,

I also had a similar problem but in my case it was two outlook accounts, one of which was opened in 2011 and then never used and totally forgotten. A more recent account is the one I want to use but whenever I sign in I am taken to the old account. Like you, attempts to delete this old account have been unsuccessful.

In desperation I contacted Microsoft and had several "conversations" with various agents via their internal email system, known as Chat. All of them assured me that there was an easy way to sort this out and we tried three or four different ways but, no, I still got the old account on sign in. I eventually gave up and moved my email account to Gmail.

I realise that this is not very encouraging for you but I think Ian's suggestion of contacting MS Support is probably the best. Maybe a new look at this might be the answer.

As to blocking the forwarded emails from your old Hotmail account have you tried (you probably have) going to Settings in the Outlook account then Options then Junk Email then Blocked Senders and entering the email address of your old Hotmail account. Not sure if this will get over the fact that the Hotmail account is "yours" but maybe worth a try.

If you do find a solution to this please be certain to post on this thread because I will be very keen to know the answer.:)

Best of luck,

Niv
I'm going to try Ian's idea, but will also try and block myself, but I'm not very optimistic! I'll post if I get anywhere - or nowhere!
Judy

Reaction score
Well at last it seems like I'm getting somewhere! I contacted Outlook, and was told it was possibly to do with aliases. I was advised to sign in to my old (unwanted) account - (I put Outlook into my search engine, rather than go to my email page), go to My Info, then Manage How You Sign In To Microsoft, and see if both addresses are there (they were...) which means that one of them is an alias. There is a 'remove' tab, but I was told to just let my them know if that is the case, so I'll wait to see what they say (I don't want to inadvertently delete my good account after all of my efforts!)

Reaction score
I've just removed my hotmail alias, so we'll see what happens...
Thanks for your help Ian

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hurrah :). I hope that does the trick for you!

Reaction score
Hopefully my junk mail and inbox won't be full of stuff tomorrow. If it does, I'll probably be back on here!
Enjoy the sunshine

Ask a Question