Hotmail account not working with Outlook Live

M.D. Foster

I have just upgraded to Outlook Live (ie 2003). I run this on an XP
machine.
I have two hotmail accounts which I wish to access with Outlook. One works
fine, but the other doesn't. The two accounts have different .NET logons
(whatever that means). I go through the procedure to add the offending
account using Outlook Connector. It duly appears on the list but when I
try to open the folder, it complains with a message "This folder could not
be opened".
Both hotmail accounts are Hotmail Plus, so both are subscription accounts.
The only obvious difference is that the misbehaving one is @hotmail.co.uk'
whereas the working one is '@hotmail.com'. Both work fine with a browser.

David Foster

Brian Tillman

M.D. Foster said:
I have just upgraded to Outlook Live (ie 2003). I run this on an XP
machine.
I have two hotmail accounts which I wish to access with Outlook. One
works fine, but the other doesn't. The two accounts have different
.NET logons (whatever that means). I go through the procedure to add
the offending account using Outlook Connector. It duly appears on the
list but when I try to open the folder, it complains with a message
"This folder could not be opened".
Both hotmail accounts are Hotmail Plus, so both are subscription
accounts. The only obvious difference is that the misbehaving one is
@hotmail.co.uk' whereas the working one is '@hotmail.com'. Both work
fine with a browser.

Since you pay Hotmail for this service, wouldn't asking them be the best
approach?

M.D. Foster

*From:* "Brian Tillman" <[email protected]>
*Date:* Fri, 29 Apr 2005 12:02:33 -0400

Since you pay Hotmail for this service, wouldn't asking them be the
best approach?
It's difficult to 'ask' Hotmail' anything, in my experience. Since it is
an Microsoft service, I thought to try this newsgroup. I've also logged a
question with the MS support team, but with no response yet. Not the
quickest gun in the West!

David Foster

Brian Tillman

M.D. Foster said:
It's difficult to 'ask' Hotmail' anything, in my experience. Since it
is an Microsoft service, I thought to try this newsgroup. I've also
logged a question with the MS support team, but with no response yet.
Not the quickest gun in the West!

The MSN support staff is the place to ask. I think Microsoft operates MSN
as a separate company.

From http://membercenter.msn.com/article.aspx?pa=MC_ART_MOOLFAQ

Outlook Live Frequently Asked Questions

Q: What kinds of e-mail accounts can I access using Outlook Live?
Some types of e-mail accounts allow full integration with Outlook Live,
meaning you can access and manage not only e-mail, but also contacts,
calendar, tasks and notes. Other types of e-mail accounts only provide access
to the e-mail stored in those accounts, and NOT contacts, calendar, tasks and
notes.

Full integration (e-mail, contacts, calendar, tasks and notes)
With Outlook Live, the MSN or Hotmail account that you created or provided
when you signed up for Outlook Live is your primary account. You may also
1) any other Hotmail or MSN account that has been set up as the primary
account of another Outlook Live subscription, 2) any primary or secondary MSN
Premium e-mail account, or
3) a Microsoft Exchange Server account (provided your company permits you to
do so). To access one of the above types of accounts, go to Outlook Connector
in your Outlook Menu, select Add a new account, and follow the instructions.
In addition you may be able to access other types of accounts for which a
third party has created a connector.

E-mail integration only.
You can also access the e-mail functionality (no contacts, calendar, or
tasks) for the following types of accounts:

o An MSN Personal Address account.

o A Hotmail Plus e-mail account.

o Any free Hotmail or MSN e-mail account that was created on or before Sept
27, 2004 and which was accessed by Outlook or Outlook Express before that
date.

o A POP3, MAPI, HTTP, or 3rd party (ISP) e-mail account*. To access these
types of e-mail accounts, go to the Tools menu, select E-mail accounts,
select Add a new e-mail account, then follow the instructions.

~~~~~~~~~

The Outlook Live FAQ clearly states that the Outlook Live Connector should
be able to provide email functionality with Hotmail Plus accounts.

-EricTN