Home NAS. Talk to me.

Reaction score
Personally I prefer Cheese and Carrot cake, although I have not tried them mixed together in a bowl as of yet :D

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Ah no I haven't got anything yet. Kind of got put on the back burner for now.....

At the mo I'm running Plex on my PC and streaming to either my Sony TV or the Xbox One. I like this setup as it is does just what I want. For now.

Ended up getting a years Plex Pass too so I can have the extras that come with it.

I'm not convinced the DS415 (+/play etc) will be able to transcode my media as there are lots of reports on the internet that its not good enough. So I'm not sure....

That said the NAS thing isn't done just yet. Just not a top priority. :)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Would you consider going home-brew and buying a little HP Microserver or similar, then running FreeNAS? That may give you a bit more bang for your buck, but it's more complex!

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Did you go for a NAS in the end @V_R? I've just been searching the forums for the DS415 and DS916 and came across this thread. I'm tempted to get a DS916 in the coming month or two and was hoping someone else had one (or similar).

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I didn't no. Still on the cards but not a priority at the moment.

There were few reports that the DS415 might not be man enough to transcode Plex, which would be one of its core functions, so I held off.

Right now my PC is doing a fine job as a part time media server. Let me know if you do though, I'd be very interested in your thoughts. :)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Will do, I'm looking at getting a new NAS early next year, so I'll have a review written up :).

I've been torn between another QNAP and the Synology DS916, so I'm waiting a little longer to see what happens in the next software update. I really want a hypervisor on a Synology, as the interface is much nicer these days - but the QNAP can do everything I want already.

Ask a Question