Windows XP Help with wowexec error!!!

SDH

Reaction score
Everytime I try to install software I get "WOWEXEC caused a general protection fault in module MMSYSTEM.DLL at 000A:0032". I ran regedit.exe and changed the Default Separate VDM to "yes" but the problem still persists and I can't load anything. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
Hi SDH,

The Windows on Windows Executive (WOWEXEC) program is used to run 16-bit programs in the 32-bit Windows XP operating system. The program you were using may have tried to access the hardware directly. This is not allowed in Windows 2000 or Windows XP. Check with the games publishers to see whether they have newer versions of the games so
that this will not happen. The only true way to avoid these problems is to play the games only in a Windows 95 system or have a dual-boot system with Windows 95 present on a separate partition.
http://support.microsoft.com/defaul...kb;en-us;306559

Hope that helps.

Last edited:

SDH

Reaction score
The problem that I am having is that it will not let me install anything anymore.

Reaction score
Hmm, well i've had a seacrh for about 20 minutes and i've found out that quite a few people have had the same problem. Unfortunately no-one appears to have a solution apart from a Restore which i'm a bit loathed to advise.

The only thing i can suggest is that you get yourself over to the Microsoft Knowledgebase.

SDH

Reaction score
I have spent the last couple of hours on the Microsoft Knowledgebase and was not able to find a specific solution to the problem. I am going to be putting this computer in my son's room for him to use for school and to continue to play all of his Star Wars games on so I was thinking that I should just wipe the system clean and reload everything (I just don't want to spend the time doing that if it's not going to fix the problem!). Thanks for your help from sunny (and hot - it's going to be 90 degree F today) Southern California!

Ask a Question