help with cookies & cache

Jeff Dieterle

I can't load eBay items anymore because I'm stuck on one item that has been
deleted. EBay says it's my computer and I think they are correct. I've
deleted any cookies pertaining to EBay, cleared the cache and history and
still have the problem. Any ideas, I'm pretty sure it's either a cookie or
cache problem, but I've ran out of things to try.

Don Varnau

Hi,
Clear the Temporary Internet Files once more, just for good measure. Visit
the ebay page you're having trouble with and hit Ctrl+F5 for a forced
refresh.

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]

Jeff Dieterle

Thanks for the suggestion which I tried but still have the same result.
Regardless of what individual item I pick from my favorites lists this same
item appears. I can search with an item number entered in the search text
box at the top of the page, but of course I can't get a number without going
to the individual eBay item.
I also did a file search on the eBay item number that won't go away and
found nothing.

Jeff Dieterle said:
I can't load eBay items anymore because I'm stuck on one item that has been
deleted. EBay says it's my computer and I think they are correct. I've
deleted any cookies pertaining to EBay, cleared the cache and history and
still have the problem. Any ideas, I'm pretty sure it's either a cookie or
cache problem, but I've ran out of things to try.

Don Varnau

Hi,
Might not matter, but IE6 or IE7?

Could you have missed an eBay cookie?

Try creating a new Favorite (Internet Shortcut) to eBay or My eBay.

From My eBay, can you delete or edit the Favorite search/category/whatever?

Longshot... logoff of eBay. Log in again.

Don
[MS MVP- IE]

Jeff Dieterle

Hi Don Varnau,
I'm running IE6. At eBay help staff suggestion I loaded Firefox but still
have the same problem. I've tried the new favorite route and I have cookies
enabled and have cleared the cookies and the cache files several times and
have tried the logoff/login. I can create, edit etc. my searches.
Regardless of what I search for or if I do it from my favorites list or go
through the simple eBay search text box, when I pick an individual item I
always go to the same url addy. It is this nonexistent eBay item number
appended to the text of the item I'm trying to open. I can get to an item ok
if I have the eBay item number, but clicking on the item from a query list
always leaves me at the same expired item number. I've also tried creating a
new eBay account and get the same expired item number in the new account.
I've ran a file search with the nonexistent eBay item number and came up
empty. Needless to say I'm stumped

Don Varnau said:
Hi,
Might not matter, but IE6 or IE7?

Could you have missed an eBay cookie?

Try creating a new Favorite (Internet Shortcut) to eBay or My eBay.

From My eBay, can you delete or edit the Favorite
search/category/whatever?

Jeff Dieterle said:
Thanks for the suggestion which I tried but still have the same result.
Regardless of what individual item I pick from my favorites lists this same
item appears. I can search with an item number entered in the search text
box at the top of the page, but of course I can't get a number without going
to the individual eBay item.
I also did a file search on the eBay item number that won't go away and
found nothing.

Don Varnau

Hi,
Download and install CCleaner from www.ccleaner.com. Let CCleaner clean the
cache, cookies, history, typedurls and index.dat files.
- - -
Try clearing the DNS Cache
Start> Run> cmd [Enter]
ipconfig /flushdns [Enter]
Restart
- - -
Check for eBay entries in the HOSTS file.
To check the HOSTS file in Windows XP...
Make sure that Windows is showing hidden files and is
not hiding file extensions for known file types then check for a HOSTS file
at [C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc] Open the HOSTS file with notepad. If
there are entries you wish to disable, you can put the pound sign (#) in
front an entry to disable it. Then File> Save. Or you can rename the HOSTS
file to HOSTS.OLD to disable it.

More on the HOSTS file at:
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

Don
[MS MVP- IE]

Don Varnau said:
Hi,
Might not matter, but IE6 or IE7?

Could you have missed an eBay cookie?

Try creating a new Favorite (Internet Shortcut) to eBay or My eBay.

From My eBay, can you delete or edit the Favorite
search/category/whatever?

Jeff Dieterle said:
[...]

no luck with the cccleaner, can't get it to run, latest file corrupted,
looking for a previous version to download
did dns flush and a restart no luck
found no eBay entrys on host files
still have the eBay problem that it appends an invalid item number to any
individual item I try to open from a search

Thanks
Jeff

Don Varnau said:
Hi,
Might not matter, but IE6 or IE7?

Could you have missed an eBay cookie?

Try creating a new Favorite (Internet Shortcut) to eBay or My eBay.

From My eBay, can you delete or edit the Favorite
search/category/whatever?

[...]

Last easy ideas ;-)
1. Internet Options> Content> Autocomplete (got passwords recorded
somewhere?) turn off Autocomplete for forms and passwords then clear forms
and clear passwords. Close / reopen IE. Re-enable Autocomplete.
2. I don't understand the CCleaner error, but would really like to delete
the History\index.dat file. Download and run Free History Eraser:
http://smartprotector.com/eraser/free-history-eraser.htm That will usually
delete the History folder in XP.

If unsuccessful with that, the History folder can usually be deleted
manually.
The procedure [Windows XP]
Login as another user with administrator privileges, or from the machine's
default administrator account (startup in safe mode.) Make sure that you can
see hidden and system files (Folder Options> View) then delete the affected
History folder from Windows Explorer. It will be at [C:\Documents and
Settings\yourusername\Local Settings\History] Restart the computer.

315222 - A description of the Safe Mode Boot options in Windows XP:

3. Last idea (I think.) Setup a new user account and migrate data and
settings to the new account.
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=811151

Don
[MS MVP- IE]

Jeff Dieterle said:
[...]

From My eBay, can you delete or edit the Favorite
search/category/whatever?

[...]

I tried everything you detailed in your last correspondence with no success.
I did a restore to the last date I knew the Pc was ok and the eBay problem
is gone. The restore also allowed me to download the files you suggested in
earlier messages and I was able to run the Windows update service. So far
everything seems to be back to normal.
Thanks for all your help
Jeff

Don Varnau said:
[...]

From My eBay, can you delete or edit the Favorite
search/category/whatever?

[...]

Thanks for the update. Glad you found a solution.

Don

Jeff Dieterle said:
[...]

From My eBay, can you delete or edit the Favorite
search/category/whatever?

[...]

Well .... all is not well. I wanted to set a restore point after everything
checked out for a few days and the help menu selection returns a file not
found error for helpctr.exe Is there a way to get the help system back
without doing another restore?
Thanks
Jeff

Don Varnau said:
[...]

[...]