Windows XP Help! <windows root>\system32\hal.dll corrupt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I am using windows XP on my work computer. (It's not internet connected) and can't boot into windows. The message comes up indicating I need to replace <windows root>\system32\hal.dll

I have my operating system disk but don't know how to use it to replace the file. Repair brings me to the prompt, and I can access my installation disk, but haven't a clue how to find the corrupt file to replace it.

Another option is to run windows install, which would be a last resort since it would wipe my system drive clean.

Should I search for hall.dll online (using my older computer) and put it on a floppy, then copy it into my root directory? Can anyone give me some advice?

Thank you so much for suggestions!
Peggy

Reaction score
Found this on the web

For the Hal.dll file missing problem do this:
1.Insert and boot from your WindowsXP CD.
2.At the first R=Repair option, press the R key
3.Press the number that corresponds to the correct location for the installation of Windows you want to repair.
Typically this will be #1
4.Type bootcfg /list to show the current entries in the BOOT.INI file
5.Type bootcfg /rebuild to repair it
6.Type exit and take out the CD ROM

The problem is the BOOT.INI file on the root of the C: drive is misconfigured.

Reaction score
Stevecook said:
Found this on the web

For the Hal.dll file missing problem do this:
1.Insert and boot from your WindowsXP CD.
2.At the first R=Repair option, press the R key
3.Press the number that corresponds to the correct location for the installation of Windows you want to repair.
Typically this will be #1
4.Type bootcfg /list to show the current entries in the BOOT.INI file
5.Type bootcfg /rebuild to repair it
6.Type exit and take out the CD ROM

The problem is the BOOT.INI file on the root of the C: drive is misconfigured.

I encountered this problem yesterday and followed these instructions precisely as they are found almost verbatim on several forums and websites. They did not work in my circumstance. I also tried replacing the hal.dll with (what should be) a good copy, this did not work either. Ultimately after several hours of trying various other options, I was forced to do a Windows Repair to fix the issue as muckshifter suggested in his post.

Now on to the odd part. My roommate called not long ago to tell me that her PC kicked out this same error this morning... Are there any viruses/trojans going around right now that might be affecting this file? I've been doing a little searching, but haven't turned up anything yet except this fix, which hasn't worked for me. I just find it extremely odd that my PC has been running without issue for only about 6 months and the other PC on the network has been running for well over a year without issue, and suddenly they both develop the same problem within the span of 2 days.

Thanks.

Last edited:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Nope! no 'viruses' going around ... it is more common than you have seen.

Short for hardware abstraction layer, programming in an operating system that functions as an interface between a system’s hardware and software, providing a consistent hardware platform on which to run applications. When a HAL is employed, applications do not access hardware directly but access the abstract layer provided by the HAL. Like APIs, HALs allow applications to be device-independent because they abstract information from such systems as caches, I/O buses and interrupts and use this data to give the software a way to interact with the specific requirements of the hardware on which it is running.

... it goes wrong. ;)

Reaction score
Cool, thanks for the quick answer.

I just found it a little odd and thought it wouldn't hurt to pose the question.

Reaction score
Anyone any idea what you do if you do not have a Windows XPCD, only an eMachines recovery disk?

Declan

muckshifter

Reaction score
DeclanByrne said:
Anyone any idea what you do if you do not have a Windows XPCD, only an eMachines recovery disk?

Declan
If you can 'borrow' the right XP CD off a friend and use your code on your sticker then the only other course is a re-install.

Sorry. :)

Reaction score
windows root system 32 hal. dll.

I got a big problem I don't even know what happened. I was using my computer and it was working perfectly fine. Next day I start it up again and the only thing I keep getting is

< windows root > / system 32 /hal. dll.

I've tried to boot from my windows xp cd and I just keep getting the same message. I've changed the boot priority so it can boot from the cd first and the same message pops up

If anyone can help me let me know

Reaction score
Just last night this terror happened to me. A virus was eating up my computer so I decided to do a System Restore. But the process froze so I rebooted and tried again. It Froze. So I rebooted a third time and the System Restore wouldn't even START because of error messages stating that some files could not be opened and copied.

I tried Safe Mode. That didn't work. I'm not sure of what else to do outside of using the Windows XP install CD. But my problem is that I don't HAVE the install CD. My computer was given to me by my aunt. But she did not give me the disk and I doubt she has it anymore. So my computer is destroyed (I can only get online at school now), and I have no CD to fix it. So I'm desperate, how can I get my hands on a Windows XP installation CD?? I'm willing to buy it because of course I have no other options right now.

And just this morning I turned my computer on at a whim and recieved the \system32\hal.dll. message.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Help on hal.dll error.

I keep getting <Windows root>\system32\hal.dll is missing or corrupt. I have a copy of windows XP so I can do clean install and it isn't reading from the disk. I can get into the setup and have changed the order but I still get the same. I tried another hard drive that originally came with the computer and I get NTLDT is missing. I am lost. Many forums tell me to check boot.iti. I can't get into anything but setup. How can I fix this?

Reaction score
Proof said:
I got a big problem I don't even know what happened. I was using my computer and it was working perfectly fine. Next day I start it up again and the only thing I keep getting is

< windows root > / system 32 /hal. dll.

I've tried to boot from my windows xp cd and I just keep getting the same message. I've changed the boot priority so it can boot from the cd first and the same message pops up

If anyone can help me let me know

ah yeah sometimes I have this problem too so when I turn on my computer the logo pops up before that
messege and when it does press Esc and then it will give you option to choose
1. ATAPI CD/DVD ROM DRIVE
2.NOTEBOOK HARD DRIVE
so you choose tha first option and after that it will say "press any key to booot from CD"

Reaction score
the way I got this problem that is first i had ntldr file is compressed and than I fix it and i got this problem

and I have two big problems
1. when I type in bootcfg /list it say tha there are no entries
so it kinda doesnt work
2. now this one is the worst problem that my computer turns off by it self beacause it gets over heated(usualy it can be on for like a month and nothing will happen
so a have limited time to do this

oh by the way I was fixing my computer while typing this message and i fixed it but it just turend of
oh well

muckshifter

Reaction score
This is an old thread ... if you have a problem, please start your own thread.

:user:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question