Windows XP HELP!!! windows keep restarting

Reaction score
hi

i have just formated my computer and reinstalled windows and im having problems with windows which keep restarting at random times which can happen when im playing games, doing work or even just surfing the web. i get this blue screen when the error occurs

STOP: 0x0000008E (0xC0000005, 0xBFA31567, 0xF86F5BA0, 0x00000000)
nv4_disp.dll - Address BFA31567 base at BF993000, DateStamp 424ddded

i have tried:
- updating windows
- updating drivers
- virus scanning

my computer is not overheating and i dont think it is a PSU problem.

i am a newbie when it comes to fixing up problems. anyone have any suggestions to fix this problem? help is greatly appreciated

thanks heaps
Watda

Reaction score
do a search on, say, "nv4_disp.dll" and/or the other parts of the message. You will get some idea of what might be going on with your system.

It could be your video card?
How old is your system? Why did you reformat?
What video card do you have? which driver did you update? etc. post them here.

Reaction score
my system is about 2 yrs old. im running

-AMD athlon 2500+
-nvidia geforce fx 5200
-512 ddr
-gigabyte 7N400 Pro
-running Windows XP

ive tried using norton 2004 scanning with latest definitions for any viruses and none were picked up. ive tried what you have suggested dat789 and it comes up that it could be a corrupted driver for the graphics card. ill try updating the driver again and report back. thanks guys

Reaction score
i ahve the same problem now and i dont know what to do now i tryed clicking on the link above but it does not work for me it says this:

This domain has temporarily been disabled.
To restore the domain, contact your Customer Support.
Can someone please help me because i am a gamer who can not play anymore because of this problem and i want to fix this problem as soon as possible.

Reaction score
Start a new thread in "Windows Applications"
This thread is 3 months old so many may not look at it:thumb:

Ask a Question