HDD - 55.8GB Internal 500GB External
Disk Drive - CD/DVD - RW

The main types of software i am running on this sytem are:

Kaspersky Anti-Virus 7.0.1.325
Microsoft Office 2007 Pro
Mozilla Firefox
Football Manager 2008

and other types of programs

What i want to do is to speed up my Laptop and get the full potential out of it, i know it will go a lot faster as i managed to prove this, everything i used ran smoothly

Right well if i need to buy a few peices of hardware for it E.G. more RAM i will do this but only if i need to,
I also do not mind buying software such as clean up tools etc.

Please Any help will be highly Aprreciated

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
Well it will slow down overtime as the hard drive fills up and you add more applications.

Reaction score
Yes i understand this and i keep removing software, everytime i fill my Hard drive up to around 20GB left i export mostly everything to my External 500GB hard drive so these things you have stated are not an issue, Thanks anyway, really i was looking for sollutions not explinations but thanks anyway Waynos

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Well as you pointed to - some extra RAM will generally make things smoother and is a really the only hardware upgrade you can do to a laptop.

Waynos is right about things slowing down over time, and its not just the amount of software - often a clean OS install will speed things up - even removing software still leaves things behind once removed.

Perhaps try using CCleaner and give things a springclean?

Kaspersky is an excellent AV suite, however it can it certain areas slow things down a bit - NOD32 is equally good and is much lighter on resources.

Reaction score
Hi NRF19,
As everyone else has already said, your computer will slow down after time because of software installations and other apps, but the easiest things to do would be to :

- Free up some of your disk space, either by removing some of the software that you rarely use, or by using Disk Cleanup

- Use Disk Defrag

As Adywebb has already mentioned CCleaner is a very good piece of software, because not only does it remove temp files etc, it also removes old reg enteries.

Reaction score
As you said..... INCREASE the RAM.

You probably got shared graphics. Which takes a chunk of it. Then some of it is unavailable as its used for graphics apature. Vista ideally needs 2 Gb of RAM.

Ask a Question