HELP - Service Control Manager

K

Kirk

I have just rebuilt (fdisk) a staff members pc (running
Windows XP Pro) so that I may start with a fresh system
to deploy into a different department within the company.
Since doing this, when I login to the pc as the user
without administrator priveledges I get two pop up
messages relating to Service Control Manager which are as
follows:

"SCMAN - Access Denied."

"SCMAN - Can't Open Service Control Manager."

The Event Viewer logs Error ID 7035 & ID 7036.

Can someone please instruct me on how I may rectify this
problem.

S

Shaun L. Anderson

This is normal, pay attention cause I'm only gonna hit cha one time and ya are gonna love it!! There are two reasons for this error.

Reason 1
There is a registry key in your registry named

"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SECURITY\Policy\Secrets"

that hold service account password hash information for the following accounts

NT AUTHORITY\LOCAL SERVICE
NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE
..\Aspnet (if you've got the Microsoft .NET Framework installed and the ASP.NET Service running under the Aspnet account).

Since this key is restricted to administrators only
even power users will get an error message

Reason 2

Everytime you open the services.msc snap-in as an administrator NT decides "Hey I gotta write something down in case he changes something"
user are prevented from saving change to this key below.

"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM"

this key is read-only to them so the SCM say "to hell with this" and quits beccause that user's permissions are restricted.
So this error is normal AFTER YOU'VE PLAYED WITH THE SCM YOURSELF FOR A MINUTE (NT does learn about it's users).

Note: This all depends on registry and file permissions (e.g. Power Users, Backup Operators, and even Administrators may receive this error from time to time although it shouldn't happen to an administrator at all but it is possible).

Note #2: Some services (notibly 3rd party ones will protect themselves if they where written this way to reset their own permission on themselves as to prevent tampering by restricted accounts in NT/XP,
if you have a program like this installed restricted users might be prevented from even opening the services.msc snap-in at all).

Ask a Question