help please

Reaction score
my wireless key board and printer have just stopped working, i used a wired keyboard and that works fine.i get a message for the printer, setup has detemined the spooler service is stopped, in order to continue installation this must be started. but it will not start. i have windows xp and norton antivirus and after a scan i have a virus that cannot be deleted .on nortons advice i turned off system restore and downloaded latest virus definitions but still cannot delete or quarentine hacktool virus. now i cannot use system restore because turning it off has lost all restore points. i tried my xp disc to repair damage and this tells me i have a newer version of xp running and i will lose all my files if i try to install it. i have tried installing the printer and keyboard with the factory software to no avail.i have also checked that the spooler service is turned to auto and it is please help i would be much obliged

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Go to the Symantec Security Response site HERE and manually download the removal tool for your virus. Follow the instructions and run the tool and it should clear it for you.

Hopefully after that you will be back up and running - please let us know...:)

Reaction score
thanks for the quick reply ,i installed emsissoft, and it found one trojan and one hacktool and they are now deleted.how can i now get the spool service working? i type in msconfig and the spool service is stopped gratefull for any more help.

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Sorry for not getting back sooner - had to go to work all evening!

Glad you got rid of the nasties, but I would still download the other one I recommended above and run it just to check for any others - often different programs find different things. Also make sure you do a full scan with Norton again.

As regards the spooler - go to Start>Settings>Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Services. Run down the list and highlight Print Spooler which will then give you the option to stop or restart the service, click restart and see what happens. Also let me know what the startup type is.

Last edited:
Reaction score
First try what the other posters are posting. It mabe something simple not malicous.
So much bad stuff out that ya might think is bad not simple.

The new trojans and pest will kill MS restore. If ya lost all restore points that what the hackin pest does.
That way they can do more damage and got ya where they want ya your ****ed... some times the only thing you can do is format and clean install.
Hackers like to damage its a game to them and they keep a score card on how much damage they did.
Use a third party freeware to backup your registry. I like ERUNT the hackin pest doesnt kill it.

Reinstallin sometimes dont work the way ya want, but I think ya can renistall if you need to.
It thinks you have another version because of service pack II.
Unintalling SPII in add remove and it should think its the original version.

Get the pest off first cause it will still be there if ya reinstall.

Pest prevention is the best way to keep your PC smooth.
Just haven a firewall and antivir is only one layer of it.

Reaction score
i have installed ewido as well and both programmes are excellent seeing that they are free.ewido found more trojans and are deleted. i highlighted spooler in servces, and tried to restart,and got "could not start the print spooler service on local computer error 1075 the dependency service does not exist or has been marked for deletion. i have tried auto start and manual start for the spooler service and get the same response. would this also stop my wireless keyboard from working? or would that be under a different service. if the worst comes to the worst is there a free programme that i can backup everything i have and place them in rar or zip files. the backup programmes i have tried before put them into bin type files and i can never open them, in the end i have given in and started from scratch.thank for any more advice.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
You're going to have a hard job 'fixing' that error ... you may have to bite the bullet and do a clean install. :(

Reaction score
I ptrint spool problem. The Microsoft - Support is a "fix/diagass " program. I use a Lexmark print install- You check the support web site a the programs

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
RayKaczmarek said:
I ptrint spool problem. The Microsoft - Support is a "fix/diagass " program. I use a Lexmark print install- You check the support web site a the programs

Hi Ray and welcome to the forum
happywave.gif
happywave.gif

This is quite an old thread and I would suggest starting your own thread for better response to the problem you have. Could you please be a little bit more specific as to your problem. Please also which OS are you using..

Ask a Question