Help Needed Please? xox

Reaction score
Hi,

I recently had a diagnostics does on my broken laptop. The man told my laptop is unrepairable due to missing signal from onboard controller. Please could you explain what this means to me in simple terms??

Thanks xoxo

AGNIESZKA

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Ok, it probably means either the north bridge or south bridge has died. They are both integrated circuits (chips) that are vital to any computer's functioning. As they are surface mount devices they are often irrepairable and the only option would be to fit a new motherboard which is probably uneconomical compared to the price of a new replacement laptop.

You can take out your hard disk easily enough for later data retrieval.

And welcome to the forums :)

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
It's borked. :)

The "on-board controller" says to me, the circuit board, electronic bits-n-bobs on a bit of PCB, printed circuit board, is no longer working. We quite often used to see Hard Drive Controller Errors which would warrant a replacement controller as the date was invaluable.

That would have, however, been the only time I would have tried to "fix" any controller errors other than easy to replace add-on cards.

:user:

Ask a Question