Help! My computer wont turn on!

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Having a bit of a problem with my PC. I can't get it to turn on anymore. Its annoying because when I plug it in the light on the back comes on showing that it is recieving power, but when i press the on button the fans start for a fraction of a second and the go off again. If I do this a couple of times it causes the light on the back to go off again. I've had this problem for a while and usually if i try it now and again every couple of days it will turn on again. Unfortunately this time its given up. The problem happens usually after my comp just cuts out while im using it. I also get the same problem if i dont use my computer for a week or so. Does anyone have any idea what the problem could be?

Much thanks!

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Fans 'flicking' like that indicate a power short ... that could be the PSU or anything else down the line.

Try another PSU :thumb:

Reaction score
Hi,
Sounds like it shuts down because it is overheating. This maybe because the cpu fan is not working properly in which case modern computers have a setting in the bios which sets a maxium temp for the cpu. If in gets above this the computer shuts down to prevent damage to the cpu.
It mabe also possible the power supply unit is on the way out.
I suggest you take the side panel off, plug in the computer and watch to see where the noise is coming from.
Both are easy to replace and are about £10 each to buy.
Let me know how you get on.
Regards
Colin

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
As others have suggested:

First try a different mains lead.
Then suspect:

Power supply.
CPU cooler fan packed up.
If it's plugged into the motherboard fan header and fan protection is enabled in Bios, this will cause it to shut down.
Overheating, caused by:
a) CPU cooler fan inefficient or dead.
b) Poorly seated CPU cooler.

Those are the most likely causes but it could be several other reasons, such as a faulty motherboard or other unit short-circuited.

My first port of call would be to check out CPU cooler fan and try substitute mains lead.

Reaction score
Indeed, I think its to do with heat. In fact, I'd be pretty confident your PC definately thinks its getting too hot. Therefore, it switches off and, the CMOS isn't now reseting itself. Try holding down the insert button when you press the 'on' button. On (some) motherboards holding reset can be a sort of 'soft' reset of the CMOS, which will allow your PC to run at about a third of the speed so that you can get into the BIOS and sort out any problems. Also, unplug the PC from the mains and hold down the 'on' button for about 5 seconds - this can sometimes remove any lingering power from the motherboard.

I went through a stage when my PC would never switch on properly unless I hit restart immediately after pressing ON. This just took up an extra half a second of my day for a few weeks untill it magically started going again - usually, if your PC shuts down properly it'll switch ON again properly too.

This problem would usually happen after you've overclocked too much, and the board has switched itself off, which I guess you haven't been doing anyway. Try tidying up the cables to allow for airflow - and certainly make sure that the vents of the PC aren't right up against a wall or something!

Most people don't realise how PC crashes and problems are a direct result of lack of airflow and subsequent overheating.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Cheers for the advice guys. I've tried all the manual (as it were) suggestions and none of them seem to work. I have also finally managed to track down a psu for an emachine, as it seems that they are alot smaller than other ones that are readily available (so I don't have to re-case!). It should be with me by the end of the week so hopefully that will sort everything out! If not I may have to resort to paying silly prices to get it repaired in store.

Thanks for all the help!

Ask a Question