Help me connect two computers?

I am relatively new to home networking and would appreciate some assistance.
I have a talktalk wireless 54mbs modem/router with 4 point wired ethernet
built in. I have a wired ethernet desktop to the modem/router and a wireless
laptop. Both connect to the internet happily but no matter what I do I cannot
get them to see each other and network them for file/printer sharing?
My laptop is running windows XP Home SP2 and the Desktop is Windows
Professional SP2. The modem recognises them both independantly but I just
cannot get them to talk to each other.
The modem states that the Home Network (LAN) is IP Address 192.168.2.1
Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0.
Is there a step by step guid for doing this?

Robert L [MVP - Networking]

These search results may help,

How to enable windows sharingHow to enable Windows sharing. One of the reasons to create a workgroup or domain network is for all computers on the network to access the network ...
http://www.howtonetworking.com/Networking/enablesharing0.htm

How to enable File and Sharing in Windows FirewallHow to Enable File and Printer Sharing in Windows Firewall 1/4. Symptom: 1. No one can't access your XP computer with SP2. 2. When using net view command, ....
http://www.howtonetworking.com/Windows/xpicf1.htm

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
I am relatively new to home networking and would appreciate some assistance.
I have a talktalk wireless 54mbs modem/router with 4 point wired ethernet
built in. I have a wired ethernet desktop to the modem/router and a wireless
laptop. Both connect to the internet happily but no matter what I do I cannot
get them to see each other and network them for file/printer sharing?
My laptop is running windows XP Home SP2 and the Desktop is Windows
Professional SP2. The modem recognises them both independantly but I just
cannot get them to talk to each other.
The modem states that the Home Network (LAN) is IP Address 192.168.2.1
Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0.
Is there a step by step guid for doing this?

Rich Olson

Mike-
I feel your pain. I have a similar setup to yours. I still can't seem to
find the "magic button" that will allow me to access one computer from the
other. My base PC ("RCLO-AMD") and the laptop ("RCLO-Laptop") both can
connect to the internet through the wireless router, so that's not the
problem.

When I go into Windows Explorer on my base PC and open "My Network
Places/Entire Network/Microsoft Windows Network/MSHome (the network's
default name), I see (only) "Rclo-laptop" listed. But if I click on it to
open, I get the error message, "\\Rclo-laptop is not accessible. You might
not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator
of this server to find out if you have access permissions. The network path
was not found."

When I go into Windows Explorer on my laptop and open "My Network
Places/Entire Network/Microsoft Windows Network, I see (only) "Mshome"
listed. But if I click on it to open, I get the error message, "Mshome is
not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource.
Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access
permissions. Windows cannot find the network path. Verify that the network
path is correct... " etc.

I set the folder sharing "on" (default value) on both PCs. I even set the
root of my external drive (on the base PC) to be shared over the network.
Windows firewall on both PCs says it's configured to allow the folders to be
shared over the network. I found the IP address of the laptop and entered it
into Zone Alarm (on the base PC) as Trusted. I also entered the base PC IP
into the laptop firewall (McAfee) as trusted. I even turned the Windows
firewall off on both PCs. Nothing made any difference.

I'm SURE there's a "magic button," but I can't figure out what it is. With
all due respect to the MVPs, links to websites that list a zillion problems
and issues are of no help. Like Mike said, we need a step-by-step (for
novices - not MVPs) procedure that walks us through the process.

Does ANYONE know what we're missing??

RCLO

[...]

Run the Network Setup Wizard (in Start > All Programs > Accessories >
Communications) on each computer: If the Wizard detects the router's
shared Internet connection, tell the Wizard to use that. Otherwise,
tell the Wizard that the computer connects to the Internet through a
residential gateway (router). Tell the Wizard to enable file and
printer sharing.

Configure the ZoneAlarm and McAfee firewalls to trust the entire
subnet (for example, all addresses in 192.168.0.x), not just a
specific IP address. Since those firewalls are running, you must
disable the Windows Firewall on both computers.

Look for and configure any firewall component that's part of your
antivirus program, such as Norton Antivirus' "Internet Worm
Protection".

Open a command prompt window (Start > Run > cmd) and see if each
computer can ping itself and the other computer by IP address and
computer name. For example:

ping 192.168.1.101
ping thiscomputer
ping 192.168.1.102
ping thatcomputer

If any of those commands fail, try them after starting both computers
in Safe mode with networking. If something works there, but not in
regular mode, a firewall is probably causing the problem.
--
Best Wishes,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

I had 3 computers, 1 wireless, linked by a Belkin router without an internet
connection. All 3 could see each other and share files and printer. Then I
got AT&T DSL modem and started having problems. I first posted that thought
the computers could see each other, I had a one way sharing between the 2
that I use all the time. After trying to follow some of the instructions on
the suggested links, I lost more and more capabilities till now those
computers can't see each other. I removed almost everything from the
startup folders on both so I don't think any AV or firewall is present.
I made the mistake of running the network wizard multiple times to try to
get things back, then read in one link that this can cause problems, but have
had no answer how to undo it. I've read dozens of pages of links suggested
and am farther than ever from restoring what once worked so well.
I have to wonder if anyone really has a clue as to how to solve such
problems as all they do is lazily send you to links that are essentially a
course in networking. I keep running into steps that aren't applicable or
can't be followed.
Then someone else says they don't know why anyone uses Network Neighborhood
as it would be so simple to set up with command prompts, but doesn't offer
how. There seems to be a certain smugness about having ithings right,
helping some people in detail and others not much.
Sorry but I have posted different aspects of this problem as well as 4
others and never solved any. Very disappointing and frustrating.

Steve Winograd [MVP]

[...]

I'm sorry that you're having so many problems with the network.

Did you see my reply to your message about running the Network Setup
Wizard multiple times? Here it is:

http://groups.google.com/group/micr...a759ca81026?lnk=st&q=&rnum=1#4be48a759ca81026

I've used, recommended, and written articles about the Network Setup
Wizard for years, and your message is the first time that I've heard
of problems caused by running it multiple times. Please tell us what
you've heard about that and what web sites or other sources you've
found for that information. I'll be happy to look into it.

Adding a DSL modem to your Belkin router shouldn't change anything
about the way that your computers see each other and share files.

Start both computers in Safe mode with networking. If they can share
files in that mode, but not in regular mode, the problem is probably
caused by a firewall program.

To undo what the Network Setup Wizard did, you can re-install Windows
XP from scratch, or you can use System Restore to go back to a time
before you ran the Wizard for the first time. But there's no need to
do either of those things. Run the Wizard again and specify the right
connection method for your current setup. If the Wizard detects your
router's shared Internet connection, tell it to use that. Otherwise,
tell it that your computer connects to the Internet through a
residential gateway (router). Tell the Wizard to ignore any
disconnected network hardware, and don't let it create a network
bridge.

Here's what the Network Setup Wizard does. The exact list of actions
depends on the answer that you give to the "Select a connection
method" prompt. You can manually change all of the settings if you
don't like what the Wizard did:

All computers:

1. Set the computer name, computer description, and workgroup name
that you specify.
2. Install these network components if they're not already present:
a. Client for Microsoft Networks
b. TCP/IP
c. File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks
3. Share all printers connected to the computer.
4. Create the "Shared Documents" folder if it doesn't exist.
5. Share the "Shared Documents" folder.

Internet Connection Sharing host (This computer connects directly to
the Internet. The other computers on my network connect to the
Internet through this computer):

6. Enable Internet Connection Sharing on the network connection
that you specify.
7. Enable the Internet Connection Firewall on the shared network
connection (XP RTM, SP1 only).
8. Create a Network Bridge if more than one enabled, non-ignored local
area network connection exists (XP RTM, SP1 only).
9. Configure the local area network connection (or Network
Bridge) with IP address 192.168.0.1, subnet mask
255.255.255.0.

Direct Internet connection (This computer connects to the Internet
directly or through a network hub. Other computers on my network also
connect to the Internet directly or through a hub):

10. Configure the local area network connection to obtain an IP
address automatically.

Internet Connection Sharing or broadband router client (This computer
connects to the Internet through another computer on my network or
through a residential gateway):

10. Configure the local area network connection to obtain an IP
address automatically.
11. Install UPnP (Universal Plug and Play) software to allow the
client to control the host's Internet connection.
--
Best Wishes,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

Robirdman
I followed so many links from this discussion site that I can't remember
which one sadi problems could arise by running the qizard multiple times.

Thank very much for the detailed suggestions. However, I had just posted
earlier that for some unknown reason, the network capability came back.
This was after over weeks without the computers seeing each other. I was
checking each computer's restrictanonymous settings, and they were each 0 and
I didn't modify or touch anything there. But then I saw that each computer
was now listed in the others network settings again, and I could share files
one way, after losing the capability for weeks.
I then just mapped network settings, and the file sharing on the other
computer came back. Weeks of trying all kinds of things and reading dozens
of pages, and then the capability seemed to return spontaneously.

Thanks to all of you for your posts and Rich I am sorry and wish I could tell
you the magic button! Quite simply (I say that now mine is working) I never
even thought that I had to tell the Router to allow transfer, I niaively
thought that it would already be set up to do this. Once I authorised the
networking and run the network wizard the computers could talk and transfer
data. I am one happy bunny!!!