Help! Is Anyone running MS Windows XP Professional x64 Edition?

Graystar

If so what hardware are you using.

It is not working with any AMD processor I have tried.

It reports:
****************************
(exclamation => ! has not passed Windows Logo testing to verify its
compatibility with this
version of Windows.

Continuing your installation of this software may impair or destabilize the
correct operation of your system either immediately or in the future. Microsoft
strongly recommends that you stop this installation now and contact the software
vendor for software that has passed Windows Logo testing.
****************************
I think this is a candidate for "useless dialog of the month" since it does not
say where any help is.

I could use some help with this.

Chris
Graystar Scientific

Carey Frisch [MVP]

In order to install a 64-bit version of Windows XP,
you need a 64-bit processor and a motherboard that
supports it.

Frequently asked questions about Windows XP Professional x64 Edition
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/64bit/russel_x64faq.mspx

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

:

| If so what hardware are you using.
|
| It is not working with any AMD processor I have tried.
|
| It reports:
| ********************************************************************************
| ****************************
| (exclamation => ! has not passed Windows Logo testing to verify its
| compatibility with this
| version of Windows.
|
| Continuing your installation of this software may impair or destabilize the
| correct operation of your system either immediately or in the future. Microsoft
| strongly recommends that you stop this installation now and contact the software
| vendor for software that has passed Windows Logo testing.
| ********************************************************************************
| ****************************
| I think this is a candidate for "useless dialog of the month" since it does not
| say where any help is.
|
| I could use some help with this.
|

| Chris
| Graystar Scientific

Peter

I'm not but Microsoft says; "Supported processors: AMD Athlon 64, AMD
Opteron, Intel Xeon with Intel EM64T support, Intel Pentium 4 with Intel
EM64T support"

Sure it's not your Windows fault...?? Bad copy, illegal copy etc.

Graystar

AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3000+ Venice core 1.8GHz

AFA the Windows copy... it seems to be "legal"... it has a holographic disk and
the blue insert with the holographic lined stickers, one for the PC on for the
CD case.
It even has the link www.microsoft.com/piracy/howtotell
It is closest to XP Professional, but they do not list Windows XP Professional
x64 Edition

Hardware:
ASUS A8V Deluxe
1GB DIMM Ram
AMD Athlon 64 3000+ 1.8GHz
ATI AIW 2600
NEC ND 3520A 16X Dual layer DVDR
Goldstar 16X DVD
2-Seagate Barrucuda 7200 ultra ATA connected to the PRI_RAID, setup with the
Promise 378 driver that came with the ASUS support disk: x64 as a RAID 1
mirrored setup.

I replaced the video card with a lesser ATI card and get the same results:
Spontaneous reboot.
Power supply checks out fine.

Chris
Graystar Scientific

"Peter" <ex-brit AT rogers DOT com> wrote in message
: I'm not but Microsoft says; "Supported processors: AMD Athlon 64, AMD
: Opteron, Intel Xeon with Intel EM64T support, Intel Pentium 4 with Intel
: EM64T support"
:
: Sure it's not your Windows fault...?? Bad copy, illegal copy etc.
:
: --
: Peter
: Toronto, Canada
: XP Pro SP2 Fully Updated
: P4 HT @ 3.0ghz, 360gb HD, 2.0gb DDR
: : > If so what hardware are you using.
: >
: > ****************************
[...]

Meets COA specs
There appears to be some divergence over time between what the CD specs for the
XP version, the XP Professional versions and the XP Professional x64 Edition.

[...]
: :
: : Sure it's not your Windows fault...?? Bad copy, illegal copy etc.
: :
: : --
: : Peter
: : Toronto, Canada
: : XP Pro SP2 Fully Updated
: : P4 HT @ 3.0ghz, 360gb HD, 2.0gb DDR
: : : : > If so what hardware are you using.
: : >
: : > ****************************
[...]

The latest RAID driver posted on the ASUS website overcame the reboot problem
The driver is labeled "Promise20378_64.zip"
This replaced the TX4000 driver that did not work.
This driver is prolly not THE Final Solution, but at least it's no longer an
expensive paperweight.

Thanks for the nudges in the right direction guys.
Christopher
Graystar Scientific

in message
: Meets COA specs
: There appears to be some divergence over time between what the CD specs for
the
: XP version, the XP Professional versions and the XP Professional x64 Edition.
: So I'm thinking, Yep, it's the real deal.
:
[...]
: : :
: : : Sure it's not your Windows fault...?? Bad copy, illegal copy etc.
: : :
: : : --
: : : Peter
: : : Toronto, Canada
: : : XP Pro SP2 Fully Updated
: : : P4 HT @ 3.0ghz, 360gb HD, 2.0gb DDR

: : : "Graystar"wrote in message
: : : > If so what hardware are you using.
: : : >
[...]

Glad you found at least part of the problem. Paperweights are handy, but
you only need so many!! ;-)