Help getting Win98 software to run in XP ?

Andy100

Hello, i have a software program which is basically a radio decoder program.
It decodes via dedicated hardware (com port to radio scanner) various
signals such as morse code, ACARS etc. Anyway, it was built in the Win98
era.

I paid £200 for this software, is there a way i can make it work in XP ?. It
installs OK. When i run it, it asks me to verify which COM port i'm using. I
select COM1 (which is correct) then it says 'Error! Could not find
PEAKACAR.386. Please check that there is an entry in the [386Enh] section of
your windows SYSTEM.INI file which says "device=C:\WINACARS\PEAKACAR.386"
and remove any other entries referring to PEAKACAR.386' .

This happens whatever COM port i choose.

Now i have looked in MSCONFIG and that line is already written in the .ini
file. I have also put the PEAKACAR.386 file into my Windows directory, the
System32 directory, the System folders and the folder in which the software
is installed, with no luck. So where do i need to put that file so WinXP
finds it ??

Don't know if it helps but the software actually installs itself to C:/ and
not C:/Program Files.

Please, can anyone shed any light on this ?

Cheers
Andy

Robert Moir

Andy100 said:
[...]

Some older Windows programs are just fundementally unsuited to running on
the newer systems and this seems to be one of them. I'd say its considerably
older than Windows 98 itself, and probably be trying to access something
which works totally differently in modern versions of Windows.

I do have one suggestion for you, which is to try Virtual PC - you can grab
a trial version from
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtualpc/default.mspx, install Win 98 onto
it (assuming you still have Win 98) and see if it can work from inside
Virtual PC.

Rob Moir.

Feng Mao

Hi Andy,

Personally, I agree with Robert. I wonder if you have contacted the vendor
of the software program and/or the vendor of your radio scanner. Not sure
if they have the updated version of the components.

Thanks & Regards,

Feng Mao [MSFT], MCSE
Microsoft Online Partner Support