Help!!! Games terminate after a few minutes of play!

Good morning

I have a P4 2.6GHz 512MB RAM system running XP Pro, and I cannot run RollerCoaster Tycoon, Zoo Tycoon, Icewind Dale, Dungeon Keeper, Desperadoes, or basically any other game I install (with the exception of Deus Ex I) without errors or abrupt program termination. Play is fine for five, maybe ten minutes, then boom! Either a system-wide lockup or I drop to the desktop (program terminated). I ran a Belarc scan and found that my RAM is slotted in positions 2 and 3 of 3. I have a Creative Labs Audigy card and an ATI Radeon 7000 PCI board with 64 MB (all of the newest drivers installed), but I can't run a game my mom's P2 400MHz 128MB RAM system will run! I am going crazy!!

Please help???

Hi chris I recently downloaded updated drivers for nvidia gforce 3 and system crashed after 5 mins on quake 3 reverted back to old drivers system runs ok might get u out of trouble for now!!!

Jimmy S.

Hi Chris,

The most common causes for that problem can be solved with
these five steps. If the problem persists after you've tried these,
please post back and we'll try some more solutions. Good luck! :)

1. To see if it's a software conflict: Temporarily disable Startup
programs one at a time, starting with Firewall, Antivirus, and ad
blockers using: http://new.jtsoft2001.com/windows/startup.php

You can lookup what a program does before you disable it here:
http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_pages/startup_full.htm

2. Run a virus scan at: http://housecall.antivirus.com Afterwards
Download & Run Spybot from: http://security.kolla.de to find any
Trojans, Adware, or Spyware which could clog up your system.

3. Click My Computer / Rightclick the Drive & Choose Properties
/ Run the "Disk Cleanup..." / Next Click the "Tools" Tab and run
the "Error-Checking" and "Defragmentation" utilities.

4. Go to the Windows Update site for everything under Critical and
Recommended: http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com

5. Update DirectX and your Chipset, Sound, &Video Drivers:
For all Video / DirectX / Game and Hardware Issues, I have a
Checklist of Solutions at: http://NibblesNbitsVideo.tk

--
Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

| Good morning!
|
| I have a P4 2.6GHz 512MB RAM system running XP Pro, and I cannot run RollerCoaster Tycoon, Zoo Tycoon, Icewind Dale, Dungeon
Keeper, Desperadoes, or basically any other game I install (with the exception of Deus Ex I) without errors or abrupt program
termination. Play is fine for five, maybe ten minutes, then boom! Either a system-wide lockup or I drop to the desktop (program
terminated). I ran a Belarc scan and found that my RAM is slotted in positions 2 and 3 of 3. I have a Creative Labs Audigy card
and an ATI Radeon 7000 PCI board with 64 MB (all of the newest drivers installed), but I can't run a game my mom's P2 400MHz 128MB
RAM system will run! I am going crazy!!!

| Please help???

David

Well i'm glad i've found this post. I seem to be having
the same problem. Installed a new Mother Board and
Processor..well lets just say upgraded to a P4
2.6ghz,512mb, ATI ALL IN WONDER 9600PRO. A nice jump up
from P3 800, anyways. Games I played on old system will
play for about 30sec to "OMG" atleast five mins. When
this damn thing happens, whole system freezes which can
only be fixed by pushing the magic reset button. Ctrl
Alt Del dosent even work. Everything is updated, patched.
Not so sure whats going on. I used the same video card
on the old system as well and had no problems. No
conflicts detected.
[...]

Game FAQs: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx? scid=FH;[LN];gms
Visit my Zone.com / Gaming Helpsite:
http://nibblesnbits.tk or Call / Contact
MS Support at: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx? scid=sz;en-us;top

news:6CB92528-3D77-4581-B932- (e-mail address removed)...
| Good morning!
|
| I have a P4 2.6GHz 512MB RAM system running XP Pro,
and I cannot run RollerCoaster Tycoon, Zoo Tycoon,
Icewind Dale, Dungeon
Keeper, Desperadoes, or basically any other game I
install (with the exception of Deus Ex I) without errors
or abrupt program
termination. Play is fine for five, maybe ten minutes,
then boom! Either a system-wide lockup or I drop to the
desktop (program
terminated). I ran a Belarc scan and found that my RAM
is slotted in positions 2 and 3 of 3. I have a Creative
Labs Audigy card
and an ATI Radeon 7000 PCI board with 64 MB (all of the
newest drivers installed), but I can't run a game my
mom's P2 400MHz 128MB

Jimmy S.

Hi David,

The causes for game's freezing are different than for crashes...

Hardware issues can cause freezing, black screens and other
errors. Also, your drivers should always be kept up to date.

Try the following steps one at a time to try and resolve the issue.
I hope this helps. Please post back if you have any questions! :)

1. Update DirectX and your Chipset, Sound, &Video Drivers:
For all Video / DirectX / Game and Hardware Issues, I have a
Checklist of Solutions at: http://NibblesNbitsVideo.tk

2. Dust your fans, vents and components using a 1/4" paintbrush
and a hose vacuum. Use compressed air for hard to reach places.
Set a housefan to blow cold air into your case to expose an over-
heating issue.. If it works add more fans or replace defective ones.
Use this Mainboard Monitoring Utility: http://mbm.livewiredev.com

3. A faulty power supply can cause STOP errors, random reboots,
and black screen lockups. One way to test for that is to remove all
extra devices, network cards, extra RAM sticks, modem, scussi card,
sound card, unplug CD drives (if not needed to verify CD), and then
try the game again. If the problem is solved look into a 400 watt P/S.

4. Test your RAM using: http://www.memtest86.com/memt30.zip
after you extract that zip file, click on the README.txt file for the
instructions on how to create the boot floppy to test your RAM.

--
Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

| Well i'm glad i've found this post. I seem to be having
| the same problem. Installed a new Mother Board and
| Processor..well lets just say upgraded to a P4
| 2.6ghz,512mb, ATI ALL IN WONDER 9600PRO. A nice jump up
| from P3 800, anyways. Games I played on old system will
| play for about 30sec to "OMG" atleast five mins. When
| this damn thing happens, whole system freezes which can
| only be fixed by pushing the magic reset button. Ctrl
| Alt Del dosent even work. Everything is updated, patched.
| Not so sure whats going on. I used the same video card
| on the old system as well and had no problems. No
| conflicts detected.

| >|
| >| I have a P4 2.6GHz 512MB RAM system running XP Pro,
| and I cannot run RollerCoaster Tycoon, Zoo Tycoon,
| Icewind Dale, Dungeon
| >Keeper, Desperadoes, or basically any other game I
| install (with the exception of Deus Ex I) without errors
| or abrupt program
| >termination. Play is fine for five, maybe ten minutes,
| then boom! Either a system-wide lockup or I drop to the
| desktop (program
| >terminated). I ran a Belarc scan and found that my RAM
| is slotted in positions 2 and 3 of 3. I have a Creative
| Labs Audigy card
| >and an ATI Radeon 7000 PCI board with 64 MB (all of the
| newest drivers installed), but I can't run a game my
| mom's P2 400MHz 128MB
| >RAM system will run! I am going crazy!!!
| >|
| >| Please help???
| >

| >.

I am in the midst of checking your tips, Jimmy - thank you for your help.

I do, however have another question: as my drive is formatted in NTFS, and most of these games are designed for Win95/98. Could there be a games compatibility issue due to FAT32/NTFS differences?

Keep in mind, that with compatibility mode, I experience the same errors.

Jimmy S.

Hi Chris,

Good instinct. I've never seen or heard of that being
a problem. You could experience problems only if
you converted a Fat32 drive to NTFS or upgraded
over an older version of Windows instead of perform-
ing a clean install.