Help choosing New PC

Reaction score
Alrite everyone

I am looking to get a new computer.

Any ideas where i can get a new PC with about 2.8ghz, 120gb, 512mb, and DVD/CD-r drive for about 8/900 pounds?

Whats the fastest computer out for a good price?

Please Reply
Cheers

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Are you dead set on buying a tailor-made machine? Considered building one yourself from components? Usually better to build if you have the confidence, usually works out slightly cheaper and better specced.

Avoid PC World, Dixons, Currys, Tiny, Staples, Office World et al.

Many online suppliers or good independent local dealers will supply you with a fine machine within your budget.

For 2.8Ghz you're probably going to have to choose Intel but CPU speed isn't everything, an AMD machine running at a lower speed is likely to outperform a 'faster' Pentium based setup.

What will you be using the computer for primarily? Graphics work, Games, Office work & net browsing mostly?

If you could outline your main requirements, it would help us make recommendations.

Reaction score
Ye, Im mainly need it for games, downloading etc so i need it to run at a good speed.

Any ideas what to get?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Originally posted by PCseeker
Ye, Im mainly need it for games, downloading etc so i need it to run at a good speed.

Any ideas what to get?

Well, to be honest, no.

I could certainly recommend parts to build an AMD system and probably an Intel One with a little research, but I've never bought a ready made system in my life.

Perhaps if you came up with a few links to systems that have taken your fancy, we could comment on them.

If Games is your primary use, don't skip on the Vid Card.

Sorry bout that, just being honest, but do bear in mind that for the money you have earmarked, you can buy a very good system indeed.

Reaction score
Well I only will play championship manager and internet games.

Is the computer good speedwise? I will mainly be downloading

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
"Is the computer good speedwise? I will mainly be downloading"

Hmm.

OK - help - anybody here familiar with these models? Help a boy out here :D

What does the name 'Dell' conjure up?

They make great laptops and usually produce reliable & efficient office machines.

So yes, the Dell would probably suit you fine, PC Seeker, providing you find a good ISP & go for ADSL or Cable connection.

But if you want something just a little bit above the average for your money, you could do better.

Reaction score
honestly. You should steer well clear of these big business PC manufacturers (Dell, Tiny, Time, and especially Dixons and PC World who are the biggest load of PC conartists around.... sorry just my personal grievance)

If you are looking for a top quality, pre-built PC try a smaller company such as aria.co.uk who make really good computers and have a much better, more personal service than the big faceless PC churners.

See retailer ratings <--- for good places.

If you are feeling confident and/or have the time to find out how, you should really think about building your own.

It is immensely satisfying

Ask a Question