Windows XP HELP! Can't uninstall mouse.

Reaction score
OK, here's a test for u microsoft hardware/software experts...

I have an MS Intellimouse explorer V3.0 mouse running under Win2K, connected via USB.

In 'Set Program Access and Defaults' on the start menu I can see that the latest drivers - Intellimouse 4.1 - are installed, however, i don't have the config screen to set up the buttons etc. This should have been installed with the drivers. When I try to reinstall the drivers it tells me that i have to remove the existing ones first. When I click the 'remove' option, the process starts and the progress bar gets about two-thirds of the way through...then i get the following error message:

GetPrivateProfileString () Failed MSMFG_SECTION

When i click 'OK' to close that box i then get the following error:

c:\\Programfiles\\Microsoft Hardware\\\Mouse\\Ipfilter.inf

No matter what i do, I can't get the thing to allow me to remove these drivers or re-install them.

Any ideas? A registry hack of some sort? It's also stopping me from using the thumb buttons in various games...so you see how urgent this is:confused:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Try here ...

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\IniFileMapping

or

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\IniFileMapping\myfile.ini

... if you manage to get it uninstalled try here...
http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/mouse/download.asp
...and see if they have the latest drivers.

Reaction score
Originally posted by james
Mouse settings should be in control panel.

...yes, I am pretty familiar with the control panel m8 ;) ...unfortunately my problem is way beyond control panel...i've even got the mouse working, and downloaded the latest drivers, but they won't install until i can uninstall the current set, and it's when I try to do that that I get the error message.

I'll try the part of the registry you suggested Mucks...let u know if i can do some danage there 8)

Reaction score
Found the fix

If you copy lpfilter.inf from your original Intellipoint Cd to either
c:\program files\microsoft hardware\mouse
or
c:\program files\intellipoint\mouse.
You will be able to unistall properly. The reason I say either directory is that with Intellipoint 4.1 the directory c:\program files\microsoft hardware\mouse does not exist and manually creating it does not help.

Apparently the error message for the unistall of Intellipoint 4.1 is pointing to the wrong directory for lpfilter.inf. It actually is looking in c:\program files\intellipoint\mouse. But the error message indicates that you need c:\program files\microsoft hardware\mouse.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Damion

Reaction score
I appreciate your reply Damion...and I'm sure it would have worked, but I've now built a new rig, reformatted my HDD and re-installed all the latest drivers. Mouse is working fine.

...your method might have been a bit quicker and cheaper tho!:spin: ;)

Ask a Question