Hello from Suse 9.3

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
ladypcer said:
When I play too much, I usually break it and have to re-install. :p
Not me ... I just press the cancel button.

Then pop on the net and use Google. LoL

I hate Konqueror, "will you stop opening when I click the link in an email" ... stupid thing, I can't add smillies. Doh!

muckshifter

Reaction score
ladypcer said:
LP whispers... Firefox
Watch it ... I am using Firefox, but when i click the link in an email notification, up pops Konker.

Old habit ... need to see if I can alter that, or change my habit. *smiles* 'cos mucks did it again. LoL

ladypcer

The Linux Lady
Reaction score
Thunderbird is Mozilla's email client. Goes hand in hand with Firefox. :)
Install Thunderbird and it should ask you if you want to use it as default email.

Otherwise you can change your email default in Control Center- KDE Components- Component Chooser- Email Client and browse to find your choice of installed clients.

muckshifter

Reaction score
Sorted ... :D

Don't know why it was not included ... nevermind ... downloaded, installed and setup.

Nice 'n easy.

I'll take this oppertunity to say night night ... been a long day for me and I am knacked, err, falling asleep.

Catch you the 'morrow. :thumb:

Reaction score
Well, Mucks, I must say, you picked the right distro to start with.
One of the things you will notice is that you can customize just about everything in linux.
I've seen one done so that it looks and operates almost exactly like win xp, just to get people to try it and be able to use it.

SuSe is one of the more polished distro's. While some may say it is bloated, it does perform decently, and
as you learn more about it you will be able to tailor it to match your needs exactly.

As you;ve already seen, YAST is your friend, you'll be using it alot to tweak the base os and features.
The KDE control center will allow you to fix all those annoying things on your desktop, but it will take a while to find all the proper settings. You shouldn't need to reboot fo almost all of them.
the monitor settings can be changed, if you are going to stay with the tft display, when you go to the monitor, delete the old one and add your new one from the list.

One thing you have sen is that you have to go get some programs and install them, this is your choice, if they just installed everything on that dvd you could literally get lost trying differrent programs. The standard install usually uses the whole packages so you will at least have basic computing needs filled. From there, well, ask, read and experiment. As long as you stay with the Suse supplied stuff, it is just a YAST click or 2 to remove it if you no like. There are other sites that also support Suse pkgs for some of those things they can't include due to legal issues.

Enjoy the os!

muckshifter

Reaction score
Hello you ... good to see you at our humble abode ... ;-)

Yup, it is nice ... :D

But not as easy as you make it sound ... I need to learn where the "tools" are before I can use them, then I need to learn HOW to use them.

Lets just take the monitor "problem" as an example. ;)

I just shut down and changed over to the TFT/LCD ... I do like what I see. Now, because I'm old and have no 'manuals' I'm using Windows's way of doing things ... yes I know, but, it is interesting to find "right-click" works.

Everybody is quick to point out snazzy new words but forget to actually tell you what/where/how in the first place ... a good example was usalug telling me to open a 'Terminal' ... where here on Suse you use Konsole, fortunately I knew what he ment AND Suse tells you Konsole is a Terminal.

I'm trying to "think outside the Box" but get very frustrated with myself when I hit a brick wall ... again, using the monitor 'problem' as an example ... I cannot delete/remove the old monitor, it wont let me. I need to get that sorted before I can be confident in setting up the fonts and other relations to the monitor. Any help on this would be greatly appricated. :thumb:

I was very pleased at myself at download, installing and setting up of Mozilla Email ... however, where is it now? Damed if I can now find how to run it after closing down last night ... I can see where the files are, but where is the 'run' program in the "start bar" ... I'm back to using Konker, my word, it's actually KMail which is part of Konquerer. There is an Email Icon you can add in Firefox ... it doesn't do anything, try as I might, it's just a pretty Icon with nowhere to go. :rolleyes:

I have a whole host of other little niggles, but those two are my priority for the moment ... get the correct monitor to be recognised and intrigrate Mozilla Email into Mozilla Firefox ... and that last one is a strange thing to say ... one should have seen the other, surly? Outlook express is NOT part of Internet Explorer, but you get a little Icon though. ;)

Thanks for stoppng by ... pop in now 'n then wont you. :thumb:

muckshifter

Reaction score
Ok ... progress, sort of ... this is what I've got

http://www.casetech.co.uk/product.php?productid=18090&cat=385&page=1

... I like it, and it actually only cost me £173 inc VAT :D

BUT, the only Linux drivers I could find were for a 15" ... they were in the monitor list that you can choose. Well I used them, and then got Suse to "reprobe" and it came up with "Monitor CMO CMC 19" AD (30-82Khz/43-76Hz)" ... It looks even better than before.

Have I got the best I'm gonna get ... or could I do better. :D

Reaction score
Well from the link you supplied, it looks like it has the correct timings for the display, and it knows it's a 19"
model. Most likely the only way you could get any possible imrovement would be to specify the timings for the mode you are running in. Since that is really opening a bag of worms, I would say you should leave it for now.

Now, as to your mail issue, I can;t really help much as I only use web based mail. If I get a chance later this evening, I'll bring up suse and give it a shot tho.
this article was for moving your mail over in a dual boot situation, but I think you clobbered your xp, so it may not be too relevant.
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/answers.php?action=viewarticle&artid=400

Now as to not finding thunderbird now, sometimes the installers forget to add it to the program list in the "start" menu. For the standard KDE desktop, there is a utility that will find and add apps that get missed.
I believe it is called Kappfinder, but not sure where they hid it in suse.

Now to change your default email option in all the apps to be thunderbird, goto control center, kde components, Component chooser, and highlight the email section. it will default to kmail, click the radio button for use a differrent email client. this should enable the input box with the browse button next to it (little box with 3 dots in it) click on the box, go to internet, email, and thunderbird should be there. highlight it, say ok, then apply on the bottom. this should force all things run under kde to use thunderbird as the email client.
Lemme know if that helps....

muckshifter

Reaction score
Thanks for that ...

I have success at last ... needed to restart X

However I did not know how, I do now and everything is as it should be screen wise. *insert smile* ('cos Konqureror still cannot)

tjm4fun ... what is the problem with Linux Forums and my sig' ???

I have been to just two forums and while one "reception as a newbie" was well accepted it only took a few posts for me to quit that forum.

Now I get a PM off the other one (at least they had the curtesy to use PM first) about my sig' being "against the rules" ... ???

Edit: Uncalled for remark, I should know better ...

Right, now then, where was we ... Hmmm, now I'm upset.

Oh yes, email ...

Reaction score
I don;t know what those forums policies are for sigs, I've gotten in trouble at a few places for linking to another forum in my sig.
Well, I finally decided to install 9.3 pro over my 9.2 install. This way I can see whzat you're looking at.
Gets interesting installing on a laptop with a 60 gig hd, and w2kpro, slackware linux 10, damnsmallinux1.5, suse, pclinuxos and 2 data partitions. one mistake and......

muckshifter

Reaction score
tjm4fun said:
I don;t know what those forums policies are for sigs, I've gotten in trouble at a few places for linking to another forum in my sig.
Well, I finally decided to install 9.3 pro over my 9.2 install. This way I can see whzat you're looking at.
Gets interesting installing on a laptop with a 60 gig hd, and w2kpro, slackware linux 10, damnsmallinux1.5, suse, pclinuxos and 2 data partitions. one mistake and......
HEY!

No need to have to do that ... :rolleyes:

I messed up once already and had to use the reset button, 'cos I don't know where x-server was.

Now to change your default email option in all the apps to be thunderbird, goto control center, kde components, Component chooser, and highlight the email section. it will default to kmail, click the radio button for use a differrent email client. this should enable the input box with the browse button next to it (little box with 3 dots in it) click on the box, go to internet, email, and thunderbird should be there. highlight it, say ok, then apply on the bottom. this should force all things run under kde to use thunderbird as the email client.
Lemme know if that helps....
Good distructions there, but T'bird is not listed ... :blush:

My PC keeps beeping ... one beeb every so often ... is there a hardware sensor monitor for Linux? To monitor temps?

muckshifter

Reaction score
I know what the "beep" is ... dam Konker Email thingie is using the PC speaker. Doh! :rolleyes:

ladypcer

The Linux Lady
Reaction score
Hello Mucks. How are you liking SuSe about now? ;)
I've been on my own adventure in new Linux distros. Trying out some that are specific to running Folding at Home (F@H), and may be just as frustrated as you. :D

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
muckshifter said:
Edit: Uncalled for remark, I should know better ...

I read that :D

Go on, do it, do it, I'll come over and you can ban me :D

I've only ever managed to get banned from one Forum in seven years and I need to spruce up my bad boy image.

;)

muckshifter

Reaction score
Hello Lady,

I'm getting there ... got the "screen" sorted, got the MB beep sorted and gave up completely on getting a 'temp' monitor' installed. :D

Loads still to work out ... but I think I chose wisely in Suse.

Ask a Question