muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Ah right then ... another 4-5hrs or so to go. :( :D
I'll have a look at DistroWatch. :thumb:

ladypcer

The Linux Lady
Reaction score
Yeah, I know.. I spent a long time downloading SuSe 10 beta too, and then it wouldn't install. :mad:

DistroWatch.com http://distrowatch.com/index.php?dataspan=4
On the right side there is a column with the most popular downloads. The top 4 or 5 are the best for the average user.

Btw, I don't think SuSe is free? :confused:
You might try one of the free ones.

muckshifter

Reaction score
Yep, Suse is free to download, you wont get any support off Novell unless you pay though.

On my second CD now ... a little slower this one.

I found out why the DVD did not work, the ISO was only 185Mb ... it should have been 4gig something ... and I found some more EvalDVDs, same thing, must be a Windows thing :D

Oh, and the Suse 9.3 EvalDVD is free to download too.

My brother works every weekend at a computer fair in Manchester, a few miles up the road from us, so I'm hitching a ride with him tomorrow and have a look for some "boxed distros", inc., Suse. ;) No how much money can I spare, do I really need to eat next week, oh the decisions we have to make.

Our FaD team did well overnight, gained 3 spots on the team board. :thumb:

ladypcer

The Linux Lady
Reaction score
muckshifter said:
Yep, Suse is free to download, you wont get any support off Novell unless you pay though.

On my second CD now ... a little slower this one.

I found out why the DVD did not work, the ISO was only 185Mb ... it should have been 4gig something ... and I found some more EvalDVDs, same thing, must be a Windows thing :D

Oh, and the Suse 9.3 EvalDVD is free to download too.

My brother works every weekend at a computer fair in Manchester, a few miles up the road from us, so I'm hitching a ride with him tomorrow and have a look for some "boxed distros", inc., Suse. ;) No how much money can I spare, do I really need to eat next week, oh the decisions we have to make.

Our FaD team did well overnight, gained 3 spots on the team board. :thumb:

That happened to me too on a SuSe download. It was only like 185megs.
Yeah, I looked at boxed versions too, but didn't really want to pay for something that may or may not work with my hardware. I think it runs around
$89 US here.
Bad thing about Linux. It's kind of a gamble if you have to buy the distro.
But they have got better about having the most commonly used drivers.

Good to hear the FaD team is doing well and moving up the ranks. :thumb: :D

Last edited:

muckshifter

Reaction score
You're really trying to put me off Suse :D aint you. I’m stubborn, for a bloke.

Well I have tried Mandrake, or whatever they are called, I installed it on a spare HD and took about an hour with it and gave up. I just could not get a decent font to see what I was doing. That was two years ago I think ... I've had another look on their site; it doesn't look any different ... so that one's out. I also tried SuSE a day or so later, it took me 2 days to "mount" the CD drive. :blush: ... it even crashed on me, but I still liked it.

I got 3 'live' CD here, and I stopped downloading anymore after seeing Suse again ... I like it, it suits my eyes, if I then find it's not my cup of tea, I'll look around again.

The 'boxed' version is expensive, about £50/$70 here, but you get 7 CDs an a tonne of manuals ... I read manuals. :D

Still a better price than Windows OS ... + you gets all you need in the box and not have to pay out for programs to do stuff. :cool:

ladypcer

The Linux Lady
Reaction score
Hehe.. well not if you are so determined to use it. :D

Last edited:

muckshifter

Reaction score
I don't believe this ... where the heck did disc 3 go. :confused:

It just finished #3 ... so I go and get 4 and it points to the right directory and there is no # 3 ... :eek:

Can’t find it anywhere :mad:

Do you think XP knows what's coming?? It wont beat me, I'll win ... 'cos I know where the bloody big hammer is.

mumble numble muble

muckshifter

Reaction score
Well, I can assure you, it aint gonna win. ;)

I searched the whole HD ... it is nowhere.

I was hoping to get this done by 9pm ... :(

I need to go and see how you install FaD on Linux ... better not use silly words like Bash ipocx or whaterver.

ladypcer

The Linux Lady
Reaction score
That's bizarre, isn't it? :confused:
Are you sure you downloaded it? ;)

Check the FaD download site for installation instructions.

It's fairly easy (so she says). :D

muckshifter

Reaction score
I sat and watched it D/L ... was pretty chuffed that I'm getting 218Kb/s D/L and only take just over an hour to get here.

Be dammed if I know where it went ... :confused:

I'm reading the 'how to' now ...
To register type

./fadsetup -nickname "name" -email "email"
yeah, right ... now where do you type that? From what I've seen on my playground you have to do summit first ... like open a 'consol' ???? did I get the right word? :D

I'll go get the big hammer, and just wave it in front of the screen ... it'll do what I want then. ;)

ladypcer

The Linux Lady
Reaction score
If your email allows you to accept files, I can email you the untarred fad125g_1.tgz file. You'll have to open it on Linux.
I use Ark. I don't know what archiver SuSe uses.

I create a folder in my Home directory and name it "fad". (original, huh?)
Right click on the .tgz file, and choose Ark, then Action, and Extract, and make sure it points to your fad folder. It should be something like /home/muckshifter/fad. Extract all.

Then you need to open the folder it's in and open a terminal there.
Then type in ./fadsetup -nickname Muckshifter -email Whateveryouremailis
-team yourteamnumberhere -connect chooseyourconnection ....etc.
I can help you with that.
If you don't know the Fad commands, type in ./fadsetup -help and that will give you the list of commands.
Then you'll have to accept (yes) and it may give you an error message.
Don't worry about the error, just close the window and open a terminal window again and type in ./loader
Hopefully it will not give you a "not found" error,
and we can go from there. ;)

Reaction score
Open a terminal window and su - (to become super user or do this as root)
cut-n-paste 1 line at a time into your terminal and hit enter.... (change of course YOURUSERNAME and YOUREMAIL in the last line)
Code:
mkdir /usr/local/think
cd /usr/local/think
wget http://www.find-a-drug.org/fadv125g.tgz
tar zxvf fadv125g.tgz
./fadsetup -nickname YOURUSERNAME -team 2250 -email YOUREMAIL -country "United Kingdom"

Type y to the question "Accept this licence agreement (y/n)?"
Wait a couple minutes.... then type ./server -list and you should be rewarded with something that looks similar to this:

Code:
j1-1v8k-q2.log                   localhost                                           Queued
All Jobs: 0 completed ( 0%) 0 failed 1 queued 0 running 0 stalled

muckshifter

Reaction score
:thumb: LoL, once again I thank you.

Open a "terminal window" ... :D John Lennon airport is miles away :D

Ok ok, don't hit me, I'll get the hang of it ... if I can find disk 3 ... gonna have to get that one again. Doh!

Your distructions are excelent, kind sir, it will be one of the first jobs I'll be doing. As long as I don't go typing in DOS commands I should be ok.

:thumb:

Reaction score
Let me know if you need anything else ;) You know, we COULD convert all the above commands into ONE bash script.... save the script and just have to type "sh installfad.sh" and viola ! ;) But i'll save that for another day lol. Linux can be a bit cryptic, but once you get the hang of it, it's not really that bad. I promise :D

muckshifter

Reaction score
I'm not as daft as cabbage looking ... but I did have a nasty habit of trying to do it myself, and then give up. I have learned to swallow that 'pride' and nowadays I ask. ;)

Anyone remember DBase2 DBase3 and the infamous dot prompt? :D

CD 5 now done gone back for disk 3 … should still get a “stab at it” by 9 :thumb:

muckshifter

Reaction score
OK ... 15mins & counting plus time added to Burn the CDs

... get you comfy chair ready, get the popcorn on the hob and put your favourite drink on ice.

:D

Ask a Question