Having graphical issues, cannot isolate the problem.

Reaction score
I cannot remember when it started happening but sometime Quarter Four of last year I started seeing “seams” in games I play that were never previously there.

The “seams” vary from game to game (In World of Warcraft there was a seam running down the middle of all characters if I turned them to the side, and also where branches attached to tree trunks)

In Final Fantasy XI the seams are everywhere, running from where grass textures meet, to cave, walls, everything (moderately spaced out but still common), also in Final Fantasy XI there are places where shadows are not blending with light properly leaving a line of shadow with shadow on one side and light on the other, this was not previously experienced this is also experienced in World of Warcraft.

In Final Fantasy XI (It’s the main game I play so I’ll be using it for most examples) textures on equipment will flicker, not the whole piece of equipment just parts of it, this extends to hair, armor, boots, and, pretty much all pieces of gear, the weird thing is that this flickering only happens depending on which zone (area) I am in in the game.

The flickering also happens to magma, while exploring a volcano I saw a stream of magma what was constantly flicking, non stop, rapidly.

I thought it was my 7300LE graphics card, so I replaced it with a 8600GT, problem still there, tried a different monitor, no fix, tried a different VGA cord but that did not help, cleaned out my PC still no fix, changed drivers, no fix, checked for malware, spyware, and virus, none of the above, and also defragged, I am at a complete loss as to what could be causing this, if anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
Its like 4:30 in morning so i'll be brief.

Do you leave your case open? Computers are expensive dust vacuums!

Have you checked the heatsinks on the cards? The fins can get blocked very easily next to the fan and stop airflow to GPU!

Need sleep someone else will give more ideas later ;)

Reaction score
If all has been changed and the inside of the PC cleaned and new drivers installed, run DXDIAG and see if that shows any problems. You do have the latest DX installed that your card will support?

If not then try another monitor.

Reaction score
DXDIAG showed no problems and I have tried a different monitor.

My PC is clean (Heat Dump, card, etc)

Reaction score
can you download temperature monitors and keep an eye on the CPU temp, it may be the case that its getting warm and new thermal paste need applying. try it with the case sides off.
How old it the PC?

Reaction score
Yes it's this old song :p trying to get this issue found and fixed.

My PC is a bit over 2 years old, going on 3 come end of this coming summer.

Reaction score
Nob14 said:
can you download temperature monitors and keep an eye on the CPU temp, it may be the case that its getting warm and new thermal paste need applying. try it with the case sides off.
How old it the PC?

What would you recommend for a temperature monitor to download?

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Venion said:
What would you recommend for a temperature monitor to download?

Core Temp but you'll have to search for a link . It will keep a log for you and its very good .

happywave.gif

Reaction score
I downloaded Core Temp, and opened the ReadMe, it states that:

-Pentium 4/D CPUs ARE NOT SUPPORTED!-

I am running Pentium D so this wouldn't help me would it?

Reaction score
Also noticing that sometimes water graphics are not showing up in Final Fantasy XI (Waves, currently, waterfalls, etc show up, but the water coloration itself will not sometimes... but sometimes it will)

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Venion said:
I downloaded Core Temp, and opened the ReadMe, it states that:

-Pentium 4/D CPUs ARE NOT SUPPORTED!-

I am running Pentium D so this wouldn't help me would it?

Ooooooops .

Ok try Speedfan or easier to use Everset Home . Everest has some tools for testing your cpu and memory so thats my favourite . Though the core temp reading from it on my AMD cpu is 10 degrees lower than it really is .

happywave.gif

Reaction score
Goochington said:
Ive known my friends to get to about 60-70 and then it screams at him.

And thats a Pentium IV Haha! :D

Hehe well, my PC has yet to scream at me, I'll go find that temperature monitor when I get home from College tonight.

Reaction score
take the sides off the case and run it..make sure everythings clean inside, ie. fans heatsinks etc..

Reaction score
Inside my computer are three fans, (one at the very front bottom, one at the front middle, and one at the back top) all three are covered in casings, the two front boxes are easy to get around to clean inside, but the back top one I would need to unscrew things to get inside to clean it, how should I go about thing?

Reaction score
the back one? is that the power supply? you dont remove that?

Just get a nozzle of a vac cleaner in and suck all the crud out.

Ask a Question