Having a graphics issue

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
I really wasn't quite sure where to put this, so my apologies if it's in the wrong place.

I seem to be experiencing some kind of graphics problem. I've tried to get a screen print - and even a photo... but they fail to pick up what I'm actually seeing.

There are horizontal "lines" (not hard lines, but more like a heat-shimmer kind of thing.) They seem to pulsate fairly quickly, and they stretch from side to side of the screen. This is extremely uncomfortable and distracting.

The game is Guild Wars 2. My graphics card is NVIDIA GTX 670 with new BETA drivers installed. (Was just as bad with former drivers fwiw.)

I'm wondering if this is some kind of electrical interference, maybe due to the new KVM set-up I recently installed. (last post in this thread: https://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/kvm-switch-t4051999.html)

I can also hear a (new) high-pitched whine from the speakers (JBL stereo - though it also happens with Creative speakers too - this did not happen prior to setting up the KVM arrangement.... I sort-of get the feeling I might be answering my own query here.)

But before I start pulling plugs and generally re-arranging everything, do you think I'm on the right lines...? Probably interference caused by linking things up via KVM..?

Thanks for taking the time to read this. :D

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
KVM prime suspect, as I've mentioned previously, tis hard to find a good KVM.

Sorry, but before you go endlessly messin' with software set the computer up as a complete stand alone unit without anything to do with KVM or Vista machine then see if you still have the problem(s).

Anything tried with current setup is pretty much a waste of time. I fear you should have configured new machine before going the KVM route.

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Hi Flopps, thanks for the quick reply :)

I did get it all running (minus KVM) but of course, couldn't try it in-game, as that only began today. Probably should have waited though.

Still, you've pretty much confirmed my suspiscions, which is helpful... I didn't want to go off on a tangent and make things worse lol.

Must admit though, it was really very handy being able to switch back and forth. Ah well, back to the drawing board. :D

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
" before you go endlessly messin' with software set the computer up as a complete stand alone unit without anything to do with KVM"

I concur with Sir ... I did say, they not very good, YMMV.

:user:

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
I've done that - using an HDMI link (the one originally purchased.) I've cancelled any sound through the monitor though - using the aforementioned stereo speakers.

It works! I believe it has cancelled the "lines" although I've not actually been able to get back into the game to test it properly, (due to log-on server errors keeping me out! Lol) But I no longer see any interference on the GW2 splash screen.... result! :D

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
your monitor has speakers attached? :rolleyes:

don't worry, it's not your fault you cannot get into game, nobody is there at the moment, it got broke.

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
your monitor has speakers attached? :rolleyes:

don't worry, it's not your fault you cannot get into game, nobody is there at the moment, it got broke.
No not attached - in-built ones. But they can be cancelled in favour of using the separate ones through the sound jack. :thumb:

Yes, I've read the grumbles from folk who are locked out. I expect ANet are working hard to fix it again. It gave me time to get lunch and do some clearing up :lol:

Ask a Question