Have I been Done?

Reaction score
Just before Xmas I rushed out to buy a computer as wages were burning a hole in my pocket. Now I believe I was done! Can anyone help me find out by reviewing my spec in the attachment. It was bought for £780.
Also are the brand names installed any good?

Kind Regards
Aidy

Attachments

• New Text Document.txt
    24.2 KB · Views: 260

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
All I can make out from that is:

P4 3.2Ghz
512 Ram
ATI RADEON 9550

Did you get a monitor or anything like that with the PC?

Reaction score
Thanks for quick reply. I should have 1024 RAM - X2 512 slots me thinks. I have attached a new spec thningie - hopefully you could tell me if I have room to upgrade.

Kind Regards
Aidy

Attachments

• new spec.txt
    10 KB · Views: 822
Last edited:
Reaction score
The underground rats that are know as PC-WORLD! It seems to run well and games such as Call of Duty 2 run smooth.

Reaction score
You probably did pay more than you could have otherwise paid elsewhere but the main thing is are you happy with it?

Reaction score
I am happy but just wanted to know if I had been stroked. Its just I'm hearing things about AMD processors and mine was called a family p4 or something along those lines. And I wanted to know if the Ram was of good quality.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Buggered if I'm ploughing through all that text just to find a few basics :p

Cut & paste ze followng questionaire, make, type and size, if known:

Motherboard:
CPU:
Memory:
DVD-ROM Drive:
DVDRW drive:
Case:
Power Supply:
Floppy Drive:
Hard Disk(s):
Video Card:
Sound:
Network:
Modem:
Software:
Loudspeaker System:
Monitor:
Mouse:
Keyboard:
Any peripherals, printer etc:

Hope I ain't forgotten anything.

If you can supply that info, we'll give an opinion.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
IF you bought the system off PCWorld it WILL have a name on the PC ... :rolleyes:

Give us the name ...

:cool:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
muckshifter said:
IF you bought the system off PCWorld it WILL have a name on the PC ... :rolleyes:

Give us the name ...

:cool:

Oh that's it, go on, make me look a total wuss
laughingsmiley.gif

Hehe, yep, I guess that may be a little easier..... ;)

Reaction score
a radeon 9550 playing CoD 2 smooth with 512mb ram?

mine is buggered and i have a 9600 with 1gb ram

bah

Reaction score
IXTREME 1807 MC GOLD

spec

Intel pentium 4 prosessor 640
3.GHz 800MHz FSB (whatever FSB IS?)
1024 DDR RAM
250 GB HD
250 MB ATI RADEON 9550 (Do Radeon cards get better the greater their numeric number?)
19 Inch philips monitor
Xp Media, wireless everything and remote.

www.dealtime.co.uk

Reaction score
i dont htink thats a bad deal for £700 really. Could have been alot worse

bit stingy on the graphics card but all in all i dont htink you got ripped off considering you got a 19" screen :)

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
oh dear me, dear dear dear, what a shambles, a Crapard Hell ... SiS chipset, oh gawd ... DDR2 ram, oh my word ... only an AGP card, tut tut ... XP Media, what? not a REAL OS, oh shame on you Crapard Hell ... never mind ... it plays Call of Duty 2 smooth though.

I'll give £450 for it ... a check be alright? :)

Reaction score
I never play CoD 2 - I just don't think its as good as Wolfenstein enemy territory, which I love r@ping people at.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
You've paid the going rate for an off-the-shelf PC, I don't think you've been done.

You could have done a lot better had you built it yourself of course, not necessarily cheaper, but better specced.

Main weakness is the AGP graphics slot, that's outdated now, current technology is pci-e slot.

It has other weaknesses that Mucks pointed out, but in my opinion fairly insubstantial ones if it all works Ok.

The '9' series of ATI cards went up to 9800 and variations thereof, then carried on with the 'X' series so yes, the numbers are sequential.

XP Media edition is Ok, in my opinion.

If it's doing all you want it to do and you're happy with it, I think you paid a fair price :)

Reaction score
Cheers - I basically only use it for general surfing, playing games now and again. Next Time though I will ask the experts before the money burns a hole in my pocket. Seen some good computers on Ebay for a decent price. Anyone evr done this?

Reaction score
personally i wouln't buy computers off ebay. there is not really anyway of telling what you are really getting, and while i know that goes for any ebay item, i think it is too risky if you are shelling out in the region of £1000

just my opinion of course, but the limit i use ebay for is software.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Would agree with PotGuy. Too risky.

Your best bet if you're not confident of building it yourself is to find a local computer shop,somebody who'll build you a system for a reasonable fee, a dealer who's been trading there at least five years (see Yellow Pages).

Then ask here for advice, many people will spec a system for you.

Present that system to local dealer, ask 'How much' then negotiate/bargain/change spec to suit budget.

Or find somebody on this forum who's local to you, they'll build it for you. How much they'd charge, I'm not sure, I'd guess around fifty quid to 100 quid, depending on how much software you want loading on/updating/patching.

That is just a guess though, I don't actually build systems myself, unless it's for close friends.

Ask a Question