Hard Drive Failing

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have an old SAMSUNG SP1203N I reinstalled windows last night on it. As I decided to test some old computer parts in this pc, I then rebooted it and I got a disk read error so I ran the Samsung Hard Drive Test Tool and that dected errors on the hdd and suggested that I wiped it and reinstalled everything. I did this and now it boots up into windows and restarts however sometimes when booting up it shows a message saying hdd failure dected. The last thing I did before this started happening was a BIOS update which completed ok so I dont think this has anything to do with it? It completed the installtion of windows ok and its useable but it still shows the failing error at boot up.

I cant seem to find any repair options in the samsung hard drive test tools to attempt to repair bad sectors on the drive. Does anybody know of any good repair tools that I can try before I throw this hdd in the bin.

Thanks,

Wiz

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Sorry to say I personally don't think it's worth repairing a HDD with bad sectors.

Even if software existed to repair the disk, could you trust it?

Normally once HDD's start getting bad sectors they don't stop.

I don't know of any repair software but it wouldn't surprise me if some existed, I have a dim memory of trying some myself once.

But if it were me, I'd bin it.

Reaction score
OK thanks guys, I think the best option is to bin it. Hard drives and sand paper interesting lol.

How would you say the best way is to go about destoying any data on the hdd, I might give a zero fill ago on the UB4CD but not sure if that would work as its failing.

Thanks

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Yep, a 3rd recommendation to bin it - it's not worth the risk! :)

A zero fill will probably still work and will do a good job, failing that get a hammer out ;)(just be careful!).

Reaction score
Ian Cunningham said:
Yep, a 3rd recommendation to bin it - it's not worth the risk! :)

A zero fill will probably still work and will do a good job, failing that get a hammer out ;)(just be careful!).

Ok thanks guys, I'll be pulling this hard drive out in a minute after formatting and then fitting a spare hdd that I have got.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Reaction score
Right okay, It seems like the hard drive could be ok after all. Last night I put together some old pc parts motherboard and cpu and attached it to this hard drive, it kept reporting that there sometimes was a hard drive failure. However I have jsut re built the other pc up that it used to be attached to and its now passing all tests on the quick test. Its now doing a full surface scan as well' I'll keep an eye on it. The only thing I think that could cause this on the other motherboard is the IDE controller going bad? The other board I was trying the hdd with was 5 years old so its probably on its way out.

Ask a Question