Happy Birthday World Wide Web!

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
The worldwide web (www), created by Tim-Berners Lee in November 1990, turns fifteen this month. How does one celebrate such a birthday? Unlike most teenagers it seems to work the majority of the time, yet it is still prone to the odd bout of sulky behaviour, and thinks it knows all the answers...

The worldwide web really has changed the world we are in. It has enabled us to access millions of bytes worth of information at the touch of a button - from anywhere. Knowing and 'virtually meeting' people from different countries is now commonplace thanks to the web, and businesses have been able to expand internationally at a much faster rate. Socially and economically, the web has had a huge impact on the world.

And all this at the tender age of fifteen.

Read more at FT.com.

Attachments

• Birthday Cake.jpg
    Birthday Cake.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 354

CITech

Offshore Crunchie Eater
Reaction score
How very true Bex

It's hard to belive that something as common-place and integrated into our society has only been around for such a compartatively short period of time.

Happy Birthday Web!

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I just hope it is still active in 15 years time :) I'm sure it is going to evolve into something great and even more interactive, I just don't know what.

It was text only 15 years ago, so what happens in the next 15 is anyones guess :)

CITech

Offshore Crunchie Eater
Reaction score
It is hard to imagine what else could be in the pipeline, but it makes for an interesting discussion point when things get a bit quiet!

Reaction score
I actually wrote an essay on Tim Berners-Lee for my uni work. It really makes you think what it would be like if he hadnt invented the web.

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
stuartw101 said:
I actually wrote an essay on Tim Berners-Lee for my uni work. It really makes you think what it would be like if he hadnt invented the web.

Yes, I remember you saying! How did that go? :)

Reaction score
It went OK i think. Handed it in with 10mins to go :) Havent recieved any marks for it yet but fingers crossed it will be good.

I think i could of improved it if i had a few more days but you learn from your mistakes don't you.

Ask a Question